Severn Report 10.06.2001

Guest Ken L

Guest Ken L

The river at Bewdley has dropped 20cm or so since last week and has fined off so it's now running clear.

Access is available at venues without animals (We fished the KDAA section at Winterdyne) but judging from the number of people walking the far bank where cattle were grazing, all restrictions may have now been lifted.

Because we had only a short session and were not going to stay for the evening hatch, the fly rods were left in the car and lite spinning gear used.

I targeted the fast water arround and above the main island and in a 4 hour session took 2 wild brownies with the biggest going about 1.25 Pounds (Both returned), a couple of perch, a nice pike and more chub than I could be botherd to count.

It was nice to see that there were plenty of small chub amongst the catch and roach could clearly be seen flashing so they weren't all washed away by the floods.

Streamer weed is just starting to grow (it should be in flower by now) and the drop in level means that the changes brought about by the winter floods can be seen.

Trees have been ripped out, gravel bars moved and holes filled in so there sould be lots of new hotspots to find for the new season.

If we don't have to much rain this week, prospects look good for anyone wanting to bait fish the river but as ever at this time of year, weekdays will be better than weekends because the EA tend to release cold compensation water to dilute the outflow from the unmanned sewage treatment plants.

One amazing thing did happen. Dave hooked a small chub next to the far bank and started to bring it back only to anounce that it'd gone into a weedbed. The "weedbed" then set off up river. 5 minutes latter he had a good double figure pike just off his rod tip. Of couse, it spat out the by now very mangled little chub before he could get a hand to it but must have dropped back into the dead water caused by him standing in the river to rest up. As the little (about 12oz) chub was returned to the river, it got hammered about a foot away from Dave's hand. He got very nervous about releaseing fish in the water after that - can't think why.

Still the whole episode managed to whet our appetites and I can't wait to be able to clip a few plugs on from next week.

Guest chris

Hi Ken,do you happen to know if the BAA waters at arley are opening.Some mates are going up for the week at end of june,cant seem to get any definate answers on it.

That would be the right hand bank,from kinlet down to the footbridge.

Chris.

Guest Ken L

Just checked the website at http://www.baa.uk.com.

no details of any restrictions to access are listed. I know that that section has had livestock in the fields for several years though so you might want to consider the section on the left bank below the footbridge as a backup. This bank is wooded and has no livestock down as far as the Trimpley section so I can't see it being closed off.

Incidentally, this is another "prime game beat" and has produced wild brows to over four pounds within the last two years. The trout are present throughout the middle severn but dont often come to a chunk of meat fished on a feeder.

that report was brilliant dave.we should have more of the same from each other.btw i am dying to try a shed full of lures bought at the las show last sat.i am on the teme next week for 5 days.never lure fished it before,any tips? cheers,john.