Losing interest in fishing-What is happening to me!

davedave

There once was a time that all i could think about was fishing, i was truly addicted.

I would of gone every day if i was allowed. I'd make rigs at home, read books on it, look up articles and watch videos on the internet, and of course post topic after topic on Anglers net! I used to talk about fishing to anybody who would listen and in class many of my English 'speaking and listening' A's came from my passionate speeches on the thrill of angling.

At school in lessons most of my thoughts were consumed by which bait i would use, where would i next be going, what reel would i use, leger, float, simple or more complicated rigs, when could i get to the tackle shop next and which fish would i target.

The last 10 weeks have been free since i left school at 16, much of this time was spent fishing. But the last few weeks i really seem to have less enthusiasm for it. Since i have got my GCSE's i only had a couple of weeks until college, which i am now at. Now i barely think about fishing at all, i even picked up last weeks copy of Anglers mail as i always do each week, and couldn't be bothered to read it cover to cover, and something that i haven't done for a very long time is that i haven't bothered to buy this weeks copy, and it even comes with free line. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

It's funny, i used to love fishing so much i was scared there would come a point in my life that i would lose interest in fishing. Like my uncle and friends of the family they fished avidly as children and teenagers but getting to late teens forgot about it, lost enthusiasm. I was terrified i'd lose my only real passion, and now i think i am.

Is it college? Is it the weather getting more 'wintery' putting me off? Am i too busy to think about it?

Or is it just a time in my life that angling is no longer a priority, pushed aside for more pressing matters. I sincerely hope that i won't lose the passion for a hobby that i loved so much that it consumed my life for nearly 7 years. I really hope it still excites me with a childish anticipation in twenty, thirty, forty years or more, because if not, it will be a real shame.

Anybody else had similar issue?

Dave :(

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

This is something I have worried about in the past too! But I think the passion might come in waves. As a young chap (I'm only 24 myself) you will have plenty of other interests when you join college like beer, woman for example but once you've got used to those things you will probably start thinking about fishing more again.

One thing that really boosted my enthusiasm was learning to drive. Now I can visit stretches of river that were previously too far away via bus.

Another thing is learning to appreciate the countryside, you may find yourself going fishing just to try and spot that kingfisher or buzzard you had seen on a previous trip.

Finally, set yourself personal targets, be realistic, but if your chub record is 3lb, spend a few months trying to get that first 4lber for example.

It'll come! :)

Thanks Rich,

I hope your right, yes i will be able to drive in a month so hopefully actually driving in 4 or 5, it still means its not long until i an be going to different places :)

Cheers :thumbs:

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Same thing happened to me - funnily enough at exactly the same stage in life - though in those days they were 'O' Levels. In my case the source of my temporary angling hiatus was obvious - I discovered girls!!! :D

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

.... plenty of other interests....... women for example but once you've got used to those things you will probably start thinking about fishing more again.

Catch and release, my friend, catch and release :lol:

...or you may get landed yourself :)

I'm married to an angler, so am very fortunate, but I've seen many a promising young angler come adrift once those hormones kick in :love: ........................................................... :bangin:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

In the 30 odd years I have been an Angler I have had periods of low activity when I needed a break.

I took the breaks as necessary and returned to fish upto a year later with renewed vigor.

Take walks along rivers or around lakes without a rod and line and get back in touch with yourself.

You will get to the point where you will want to be there next time with your tackle.

When fishing becomes too intense you lose interest. Go with it.

The need to fish does come back...I can assure you.

It'll always be there Dave, don't worry about it. I was mad keen as a kid and teenager, then during uni and the few years after I barely fished at all, and rarely thought about it (a period of about 10 years!). Then, suddenly, it was back.

There's more to life than fishing. Don't force it, it'll always be there, and sometimes there are more interesting things to do :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks guys,

this is making me feel more positive about it! It's just weird to be so 'into something' for such a long time and then one day just lose interest. But, as you say, i'm sure it'll all come back :)

cheers

I am the same with my two hobbys, I was obsessed with fishing as a young child with my grandad then beach fishing with my stepdad. This took a back seat as I hit my teens and began bmxing and discovered girls, as I turned 18 drinking took over until I bought another bmx at 20 this lasted a few months until I discovered fishing again and have been fishing regulary ever since :) although just before my 23rd birthday my new 24-7 jump bike arrives tomorrow :)

It's just life I guess, too much of something will eventually lose your interest for a bit until you remember how much you enjoyed it!

Matt

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

The truth is that all of us had similar problem in past, but it's truth too that all of us will have similar problem in future and that's normal, because we have different important areas in our life and the fishing is only one of them. That's why I can say don't be nervous and you'll see that the fishing will be some of most interesting parts of your life. Just relax and enjoy every moment which you have in your life.