Best fighting fish pound for pound

Guest shaca

Guest shaca

I reckon Gudgeon take the biscuit here! Or Rainbow Trout. Or Barbel...

I don't know. What do you think?

I find that of all the smaller fish (say 1lb) when hooked on a pole - a rainbow takes more to get to the net than anything else.

But a 20lb Mirror can be impossible to stop on its first run...

Shaca

Can't wait - its Soooo exciting!

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Shaca

Having had the pleasure of landing a 4oz barbel and a 4oz gudgeon in succesive casts a couple of years ago, all I can say is I wish that gudgeon grew as big as barbel.

I really thought it was a "proper" fish when I caught the gudgeon. (I was catching barbel around the 2lb to 3lb mark must runs through the swim, and was pleasantly surprised by my smallest ever barbel, it was quite a good scrap. The gudgeon was something else, best fight I've ever had, ounce for ounce. cool.gifcool.gif

Nick

Guest shaca
Originally posted by Steve Burke:

Yes, gudgeon do fight well!

We had this topic last year and I seem to remembrer that those of us lucky enough to have caught them rated mullet as number one.

It'll be interesting to see what newer posters think.

Never had the pleasure of catching Mullet - tried once or twice in a couple of different harbours but with no success. Now I really think I'm missing out ;-(

Guest trent.barbeler

Shaca,

Barbel are described very often as the hardest fighting river fish that the river angler will encounter.

Once, A River Trent 13lb barbel led me a merry dance for over half an hour. Barbel that weighed well below that size have taken me longer to win the contest.

In truth though, from my experiences, barbel are not the hardest fighting fish that swim in our rivers.

I have caught carp from the River Trent to over thirty pounds (mostly by accident on barbel fishing tackle) that took over an hour to land. These big fish power away and keep on going. They are simply magnificant fighting fish.

First prize for me though goes to the salmon. Years ago I used to fish the Tweed for salmon as the guest of a friend. We never used to catch a lot of salmon but when we did, my word what stupendous fish they were. My biggest, a 19lb,er took well over an hour to subdue probably due admittedly to my lack of salmon angling experience at the time but what a fight. Since that time many years ago, barbel and river carp have on occasions came close but never close enough to erase the memory of fishing for salmon.

If I ever win the lottery, I shall drive across the border up into the highlands where no sassenach will ever see me again!

Guest Mike_pk_Waters

Mullet do scrap, but after hooking, and more by luck than skill, landing a 2lb sea trout I am convinced they fight harder. Want a 10lb one next smile.gif. Caught at Iden Lock on the Rother and I am going back this year for a proper try, tides and weather permitting.

------------------

Life is not a dress rehearsal, enjoy it

Guest paul mc

Never caught a mullet(sorry to say) or landed a big salmon but i once hooked one in a river and its 1st run was like something i have never experienced. I have caught a couple of small salmon and they give a fair old scrap.

Regards Paul Mc

Guest fisherman

Mullet sure do put up a good scrap, the other fish I can think of is Mackerel, on light spinning gear and carp rod they really can tug back and keep going, the speed of the things is fantastic. As close as I am going to get to a Tuna methinks. biggrin.gif

Dave

Guest David Johnson

In my limited experience:

Sea Fish/game = Tarpon (unstoppable 1st run, followed by aerial acrobatics that snapped 30lb wire traces)

Freshwater = Barbel (although still, pound 4 pound, only maybe 1/4 as strong as above).

Never caught a Salmon so can't compare. Wouldn't mind a Mahseer/Barbel comparison if anyone's got any experience? In fact I wouldn't mind a Mahseer!

5 days and counting.

Dave

Guest Elton
Originally posted by David Johnson:

In my limited experience:

Sea Fish/game = Tarpon (unstoppable 1st run, followed by aerial acrobatics that snapped 30lb wire traces)

Dave

They did the same to me in St. Kitts. Awesome fish!!

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...