Best fighting fish pound for pound

Guest shaca

Guest Barbus maximus

I've had mullet, salmon, barbel, tarpon, sailfish and marlin too but in my opinion the Wels catfish beats the lot on a pound for pound basis. Simply awesome power...

Guest Graham E

Of the freshwater fish, a big river carp is simply awesome. For simple power, a halibut would need a winch to get it up, and when you have gained 50 yards, it simply heads on down again. Reduced to real tears.

Guest pikelines editor

Try a BIG freshwater eel near to snags!

Hate to think what a 10lb+ would scrap like (dream on)...

Best,

------------------

Steve Ormrod

Guest Bridgey

Mullet, followed by wild river Trout.

I've only had the fortune to catch one Mullet, and this weighed less than 2 pounds. What a fight! I was convinced that this fish weighed 4 pounds plus.

I was lucky enough to land a 3.14 Brown Trout from a river on Saturday. Fantastic first run followed by incredible aerobatics.

Guest davidP

Got to agree about gudgeon - if they grew to 10lb we'd never land them without a tow-rope! A River Severn salmon goes a bit as well, particularly when you're tackled up to catch chub.

Strongest fish I've encountered for it's size though was a black piranha - hitting a 3lb fish was like hitting a brick wall and they fought like demons. And if they didn't destroy the lure completely (opening 80lb split rings, biting the end off the lure, mangling 3x trebles like fine wire etc etc) then you had the joy of trying to unhook them without getting your fingers anywhere near!

Fastest and strongest fish on the initial run is the Tigerfish. It hits the bait like lightning and then keeps going. Even a 2lb fish will strip yards and yards of 12lb line even with the clutch as tight as you dare have it. A big tigerfish often travels 20 yards and is 4 feet airborne before you have time to react!

Strongest fish I ever hooked though was an Amazon freshwater stingray. Hooked right next to the boat in 30 feet of water on a 4lb+ tc rod and 50lb braid I got about 20 feet of line back in about 40 minutes and I've never pulled so hard on a fish in my life. The fish made very few runs and wasn't in itself strong, but it knew how to use the current to maximum effect and the Amazon flows like a train! In the end, just as I thought it might be tiring the hook pulled! No justice!

Guest tony jolley

Would a ten pound gudgeon not be the same as a ten pound barbel?

I have never caught a 3oz barbel to compare to a 3 oz gudgeon! so I dont know the comparison,

Big eels definatly take some getting in!

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest GlennB

The little wild brown trout in the streams around here go *berserk* when hooked.

The hardest fighting 'medium' sized fish I've caught have been jack pike, but the fight is short and sharp.

For sheer stamina, my vote goes to tench.

Cheers

Glenn

Guest big tinca

Hi Shaca,

The hardest fighting fish i would say personally are Tench basically for there shear stamina and brute strength!

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com