Best fighting fish pound for pound

Guest shaca

Guest pikelines editor

Shaca, thinking of going abroad?

Just remembered some advice from John 'Watto' Watson. If you have £1500 to spend, get over to the Florida salt-flats and have a go at the bonefish on light carp gear. I think he uses peeler crabs as bait.

He reckons they are the scrap of a lifetime pound for pound and he should know!

best,

------------------

Steve Ormrod

Guest aswhi

I always felt little Crucians give one hell of a fight for their size - some of the best sport I've enjoyed on light tackle.

Guest Chris Woodrow

Sorry Guys, you have never caught a MAHSEER obviously. NOTHING fights harder, not even Mike Tyson.

Read my 'Kings of the Kaveri' article on this site, I was towed a kilometre downstream by a 75ib'er !!!!

AWESOME ?? NO, VERY F#*CK#NG AWESOME!!!!!!

Chris 'Essex Man' Woodrows

[This message has been edited by Chris Woodrow (edited 12 June 2001).]

Guest shaca

I was towed a kilometre downstream by a 75ib'er !!!!

If it had been a 75lb Gudgeon - you'd still be being pulled around! biggrin.gifeek.gif

Guest bart4real

Interesting debate about fighting fish but I have to tell you that being a match angler, hard fighting fish are not always welcome as time is of the essence. I fish various methods and venues and I still maintain that of all the fish that I have ever hooked, the eel is the most powerful and persistent fighter. I hooked one in a festival two years ago and at the time was fishing chopped worm on the pole for carp. I had already caught about 15 carp from 4lb up to 12lb and the longest I had played a fish in the match was about two minutes. I was fishing with a number 12 elastic and .16 diameter line when the eeel turned up. When I hooked it, I thought I had hooked a scuba diver, there were bubbles everywhere. Unluckily for the eel it swam towards me. If it had gone out the other way I would never have stopped it. It took me twenty minutes to get it near the surface with about ten metres of pole in the air, bearing in mind that I net carp on top three sections of pole (3 metres). I eventually got it in the net after about thirty minutes and I really didn't care if the thing came off the hook. I was happy catching carp and did not need this amount of grief. It was enormous and it wasn't too pleased about being netted either. I managed to get my hook out of its mouth as it was only lip hooked. They took some photographs of it but the pictures never came out but it was weighed seperately on a set of Salter Scales which went 7lb 9oz. I do not want to catch another one like that.

Originally posted by shaca:

I reckon Gudgeon take the biscuit here!  Or Rainbow Trout. Or Barbel...

I don't know. What do you think?

I find that of all the smaller fish (say 1lb) when hooked on a pole  - a rainbow takes more to get to the net than anything else.

But a 20lb Mirror can be impossible to stop on its first run...

Shaca

Can't wait - its Soooo exciting!

Guest Nightwing

From the North American contingent..

Steelhead trout(migratory rainbow). These things are just spastic when hooked. Also, the mature Chinook salmon. I have had 30lb class fish take me 1/2 mile down river, and have had fish I never saw spool me in Lake Michigan, running out 350 yards and smoking a saltwater rated level-wind reel.

Guest trickydavies

There seems to be a problem with answers not referring to the original question "pound for pound". I know big tuna fight so hard you want to die but they are as big as you so a gudgeon could well fight harder for their size. I have caught loads of types of fish and Bonefish (I only got small ones) are really fast, I catch salmon every week in the summer and they have great staying power and mullet are pretty darned powerful. Three different types of fight and each could be the strongest fighter pound for pound.

The interesting bit - I only know this of salmon but as a fish gets larger - say from 5lb to 10lb it's head size does not double with weight therefore the gills which provide the oxygen for prolonged battle get progressviely smaller in relation to bodyweight. Thus a smaller fish (all else being equal) will fight harder than a larger one of the same species pound for pound. Anaerobic muscle power is different but only lasts for shorter bursts. The balance between the two gives you the fight.

Gudgeon could well be the hardest fighters but I've not had a four ounce bonefish or tarpon!!

Tricky