PAC (only those interested please)

Guest G. Reaper

About ten years ago the Yorkshire regions were going to break away from the P.A.C. over a levy on the membership of about £2.50/annum This levy was so the club could purchase its own waters, namely Fox pool.

As the committee was from the south of England this appeared very unfair on those members who would never go near the place but the plan was to purchase waters or gain leases around the country. The yorkshire members (with support from some other areas)had no faith that the this would ever work. The club was not large enough to sustain the outlay.

The whole affair left an unsavoury taste with me and I never rejoined, prefering to go about my fishing quietly. I have never felt the need to join a club since.

The A.C.A. are the only ones who get my cheque every year.

I do not gain any pleasure from reading this thread and others regarding the P.A.C. and Pike fishing which inevitibly end up in a slanging match, often aimed at the same person, but I do feel vidicated in my decision to stay away from the scene.

Guest pikelines editor

Re: new pike club from Ray Rogers...

More speculation from the mis-informed.

This attitude is wrecking angling!

------------------

Steve Ormrod

Guest Alan Pearce

With respect Peb this seemed a bit short sighted as other groups have been successful in obtaining waters up anddown the country. The problem as always is where to start, if its to be in the north, those in the south would object and vice versa. Its all about trust, getting involved and making things work. Again with respect any group or organisation will have problems going forwards if members start getting pramy by not having there own way. Nice to here you support the ACA as they do a fair job sueing polluters of our rivers. But there are even bigger issues threatening our sport and lack of unity between individual anglers is one of them. You obviously care about your fishing so why not get involved, as you once did, and help secure it for the future.

Alan.

Alan,

I agree with your points entirely.

I am a non confrontational person who was a Yorkshire R.O. at the time.

The incident I mentioned showed me that it is impossible to unite Pike anglers. People were selfish, unwilling to accept new ideas, anti southerners, anti northerners, only interested in the scheme if the P.A.C. would buy their favourite water and kick off bit bashers and trout anglers etc.etc.

The things that frustrated me most about being an R.O. was the lethargy, bitchiness and refusal to share information shown by

members who were supposed to be friends.

As an R.O. I felt the committee did not support R.O's or the regions. All the subs go to the committee but none of this went back to the regions. We needed info on existing members in our area so we could get them to meetings.

I perhaps should have stuck with it and I may do something similar again one day but I would need to know what level of support I would get from all sides.

Those involved in the current arguement will all believe in their point of view but they must learn to be accomodating to the views of others. It is possible to have a discussion with a smile on your face.

Andrew

Guest Alan Pearce

I have never seen so many grudges from such sad individuals who are supposed to be representing their sport. All the hard work that has been put in by people who care, at their own cost both financial and in lost fishing time, makes you wonder why they bother. Worst still these same sad case still can't state properly what they wan't and answer simple questions when put to them. Maybe the best thing to do is print off copies of their postings and send them out to the membership and let them decide if they wish to be represented by the likes of these fools.

Alan,

I don't suppose that reply is aimed at me wink.gif

Andrew

[This message has been edited by Peb (edited 03 March 2001).]

Guest pikelines editor

Re; Ray Rogers:

Whats wrong with that,

The attitude of the PAC Committee has already wrecked the PAC. Mis-informed No, just economical with the truth !!!

Even more Jackanory!

The current PAC Committee is picking up the pieces as best we can.

Why have we got a rising membership?

Why have we got lots of new events?

Why do we have new regions forming?

Why do you have an all new PAC products range?

Why do you have a great new website coming to life?

Why do I work my proverbials off on the new look Pikelines?

Why are we working hard on new ideas?

Why are we attending lots of shows and events?

Why do we strive to safeguard YOUR

pike and pike fishing?

Because we are trying to wreck the PAC!

Economy with the truth leads to mis-informed speculation, a vicious circle, need I go on?

oh dear...

------------------

Steve Ormrod

Guest trent,barbeler@ntlworld.c

I am not a dyed in the wool pike angler although in past years I have enjoyed fishing for this ancient species on a casual basis. Nor have I ever been a member of the PAC probably because of my casual acquaintance with the tigress of freshwater. My comments here then might seem to some on the face of my past non-involvement with PAC affairs to be irrelevant. If I appear to be presumptuous in casting my thoughts into this already seething cauldron of opinion then I apologise if I offend.

At forty-six years of age beginning my angling career at the tender age of six, I can well remember those terrible days when the majority of anglers considered that all pike were vermin. Images of the rotting bodies of pike flung down flood banks or in the undergrowth at the waters edge are still today fresh in my minds eye. Pike gaffs and gags were openly sold in tackle shops. Most anglers had such items in their tackle boxes. Slowly but surely the general angler’s perception of pike and the pikes invaluable contribution in the natural scheme of things became clear to those who had previously killed pike on sight. Such new perceptions did not come to angler’s minds naturally. They came about from the doctrines of certain passionate pike anglers of that time who struggled to get their message across against an overwhelming mass of anti-pike attitude. Guys like Fred Buller, the Taylor Brothers, Jim Gibbonson, Barry Rickards were just some of the angles of their day championing the poor pikes case. Later on, many more were to follow far to numerous to mention here. Neville Fickling was just one of so many anglers who worked tirelessly for the protection and preservation of their beloved species. The PAC itself through its membership carried on the torch. It is a living testament to all those individuals and PAC members past and present that sees the pike held up high as the glorious species it is. Undoubtedly, because of all your efforts, the loving care for the species would not be what it is today without such endearing devotion. That is why my angling soul is weeping at the thought of so much division within what is undeniably one of the most revered clubs our country has. I am a barbel only angler and like you all I share your same passion for my different species. I work tirelessly for my species and its environment as the Barbel Catchers Club rep at SACG and as a consequence of that I am no stranger to angling conflict. My ultimate dream for angling is total angling unity, so as such I work very hard, as do all of us at SACG to achieve it. Neville Fickling has always been a major player in that work. He also just like all of you, has been a major player in the protection of your cherished species. I would not presume to comment on the main issue for this terrible PAC debate. That is PAC business and should be left as such. I do feel though that I must urge you all to look back into your glorious history. Those great striped tigresses live their lives today free from persecution solely because of PAC efforts and the efforts of those who cared enough before PAC was formed. Please, please think again about the paths some of you are starting to take. The future of your magnificent species depends on PAC being united just as before. Whatever your differences are now, please keep talking. Find a way through this. It takes brave men to admit they were wrong. Braver men still to forgive. And I as one salute you all.

Guest Eric Edwards

Those of you who are complaining about Neville's reinstatement.

What do you hope to achieve by excluding him? Do you think the club is better off without him? Like him or loathe him Neville is energetic and influential in his own way and his talents are definitely best kept within the club where his considerable experience can be used.

Neville does some daft things and in the past year or so has done some of the daftest things he's ever done but his exclusion helps no-one. Indeed, exclusion of anyone is pointless and stupid - something I've said to Frank Gibbons in the past (but we all know what a great listener he was).

The truth is, if it were Joe Bloggs who had been readmitted, there would be no outcry at all. It's because it's Neville!

I don't particularly agree with everything this committee has done and I didn't agree with much that the last one did but allowing these people back in is the right thing to do.

If you don't believe it is, then tell us why!

Eric

Guest Neville Fickling

Just a minute here, in order to avoid doing daft things I need to know what they are. I didn't anchor up in someones swim did I!!!!!!!!

------------------

Neville Fickling