Carping in the 17th Century - Long!!

Guest Chris Plumb

Guest Chris Plumb

OK - So I've been reading The Compleat Angler again, but hands up who has never read a word of Isaac's classic tome - I certainly never had till this close season. Yet some of it is as relevant today as it was nearly 350 years ago - here are some extracts from the chapter on carp..

On waiting for a bite...

"....if you will fish for a Carp, you must put on a very large measure of patience, especially to fish for a river Carp: I have known a very good fisher angle diligently four or six hours in a day, for three or four days together, for a river Carp, and not have a bite."

On baits and ground baiting...

"The Carp bites either at worms... ...and as for pastes, there are almost as many sorts as there are medicines for the toothache; but doubtless sweet pastes are best; I mean, pastes made with honey or with sugar: which, that you may the better beguile this crafty fish, should be thrown into the pond or place in which you fish for him, some hours, or longer, before you undertake your trial of skill with the angle-rod; and doubtless, if it be thrown into the water a day or two before, at several times, and in small pellets, you are the likelier, when you fish for the Carp, to obtain your desired sport. Or, in a large pond, to draw them to any certain place, that they may the better and with more hope be fished for, you are to throw into it, in some certain place, either grains, or blood mixt with cow-dung or with bran; or any garbage, as chicken’’s guts or the like; and then, some of your small sweet pellets with which you propose to angle: and these small pellets being a few of them also thrown in as you are angling, will be the better"

How to make your paste!!

"And your paste must be thus made: take the flesh of a rabbit, or cat,(!!!!) cut small; and bean-flour; and if that may not be easily got, get other flour; and then, mix these together, and put to them either sugar, or honey, which I think better: and then beat these together in a mortar, or sometimes work them in your hands, your hands being very clean; and then make it into a ball, or two, or three, as you like best, for your use: but you must work or pound it so long in the mortar, as to make it so tough as to hang upon your hook without washing from it, yet not too hard: or, that you may the better keep it on your hook, you may knead with your paste a little, and not too much, white or yellowish wool."

And so on - the next para goes on to talk about flavouring your maggots (with honey) and attaching a small piece of cloth soaked in oil to your hook...

Now - whose gonna be the first bait manufacturer to bring out CAT flavoured boilies!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Plumb (edited 11 June 2001).]

I really think that man lived in our time and was somehow transported back to then and decided to write an angling "how to" that would live forever.

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Newt:

I really think that man lived in our time and was somehow transported back to then and decided to write an angling "how to" that would live forever.

....and tackle/bait companies reckon they've come up with 'new' products, eh? Isaac had the whole market wrapped up - he was just born a bit too early smile.gif

Elton

------------------

Anglers' Net

Keeping It Virtual...

Guest Chris Plumb

...he was even concerned with conservation issues giving the cormorant a bad press!!! However he was also in favour of hunting otters - not something likely to curry favour with conservations today. eek.gif

Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Plumb (edited 12 June 2001).]