There's a new Dick in town

Guest Bruno Broughton

Guest Fatboy

Dear All,

There's a piece about Richard Caborn in today's Daily Telegraph.

Apart from the fact that he has a preference for large events paid for by the taxpayer, and that he is a follower of John Prescott,

it doesn't say much. The article is a double half page spread and devotes a fair amount of space to his predecessors, it seems to suggest that the only thing he'll have to contend with is the Wembley Stadium affair.

One lurking comment attributed to Caborn is that he was shocked to find that 128 sports are represented by over 400 governing bodies.

Angling politicians take note!

There's also a feature about the position of Minister for Sport in the Times today. Nothing enlightening, except that they were sympathetic to Kate Hoey -The writer reckons she committed the cardinal sin of recognising that the only sport is not football, and had at least tried to raise

sport in general further up the nation's consciousness.

The major problem here is that an individual has a lot of responsibility for sport but no power to drive through change. Seb Coe felt that in order to achieve true change in sports administration, a full Cabinet seat is required at Secretary of State level.

However, it is the nature of our elected representatives not to want to take responsibility for any form of failure, so all that happens is that they appoint faces to quangos and continue to enjoy the best seats for any event in return for opening sports centres and speechifying.

I have tried very hard in this post not to be cynical and to take an up-beat view. However, I cannot do so after having read the 2 articles.

Best of luck, Bruno!

Alan

Alan

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fatboy (edited 13 June 2001).]

Guest trent.barbeler

Bruno,

In answer to your question,

I was the head of the SAA rivers group.

Nothing lofty, thats all.

Guest Graham E

Let me whisper something in your shell like.

Unless Mr Carbon is an angler, he will not have the time or the inclination to give a brass monkeys about understanding our sport.

It does not make good copy or aid a future promotion. (Has you daily an angling column?)

Bruno. Keep taking the tablets.

Guest Paul Williams

Hey Bruno,

I dunno if it's the politics or the new Dicks everyone is interested in but if threads of the month are now measured in visits you had better send in your measurements for a T shirt!!! wink.gifbiggrin.gifredface.gif

Guest Peter Waller

I'm sure politicians have a sense of humour! Atleast I hope so. I happen to think Bruno's comments a touch amusing, but were they wise? We shall see. We will, I hope, be demanding a great deal from these New Dicks in Town.

Guest Bruno Broughton

Thanks for the advice, Graham E. Taking the tablets ain't a problem; finding something to dissolve them in certainly is!

To be serious: if you were the Sports Minister, facing a serious meeting with (what you perceive to be a jumped-up)angling politician, would you be likely to ask your civil servants the question: "What have we got on this guy?". I think so. C'est la.

My research to date suggests that Mr Caborn "likes a game of golf" and (Radio 5 comment) "... is a football man". Well, he's about to discover that angling is starting to punching its weight. Without that, we will be mere bath mats, which is precisely the role we have been allocated for the last decade.

We have no need for deference to the great and good, but I'm sassy enough to know that we should always operate from a basis of 'sound knowledge and good intelligence'.

Keep it coming - the more info. we have, the better the outcome.

------------------

Bruno

Guest pete falloon
Kate & Aerosmith? Compare & contrast her pic with that of Steve Tyler.   biggrin.gif

[/b]

lurrrve in an elevator, lovin' it up when you're....going down...

Guest dave k

Just thought i would bring this back to the top after reading the papers this morning.

Seems like the sports minister knows nothing about sport frown.gif

perhaps they should have asked him how many times bob nudd has won gold a gold medal in angling.

at least then we would have found out if he knows about angling. the biggest participant sport in the country

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

Guest Elton
Originally posted by dave k:

Just thought i would bring this back to the top after reading the papers this morning.

Seems like the sports minister knows nothing about sport  frown.gif

perhaps they should have asked him how many times bob nudd has won gold a gold medal in angling.

at least then we would have found out if he knows about angling. the biggest participant sport in the country

Err, Dave, not all of us have read the same paper as you....what was said? smile.gif

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle