Perch season

Anderoo

Part of the reason I think of autumn being 'perch season' is that the cooler weather starts to slow down the stacks of tiddlers, meaning you have a better chance of better fish. Does that apply to the glacial lakes?

It may be more noticable to bait anglers, who are more likely to catch smaller fish, sometimes pugnatious perch do take lures as big as themselves I know, but lures and spinners cut out the tiddlers to an extent. The thing is that with the cooler shorter days the lake goes to sleep, one can feel it. It takes on a sterile mantle, even sttting over baits like lobworms however carefully presented is a poor business. I would say that come the cold they all stop, 'tiddlers and 'big uns' alike.

I have access to fish a tarn which holds perch. I shall give it an honest few sessions up until yule, I shall fish it with more confidence that the lakes given its size and will post my results.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did, thanks. It's been one of those times when it has really been good. I'm not the only one either we had reports. some of 'em from reliable sources, of some really special stripeys being taken.

Sound encouraging Emma. I remember as a young teenager (early 80's) a mate coming back from a family summer (perch season) camping trip from up your way with talk of great perch fishing and it was backed up with a pic of him in the Anglers Mail holding up a big 3.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I think to an extent the seasonality of some species is more to do with the unseasonality of others. The species I think of as winter fish are perhaps more accurately thought of as "all year round fish", it's just that one tends to focus on them more as other quarries become uncooperative. Anderoo's comment about pesky tiddlers is certainly true, though, breadflake legered for chub stays on the hook a lot longer once the minnows and bleak have buggered off, and a trotted maggot becomes a realistic bait for good fish.

I have been thinking about this discussion. I believe that Steve has a point when he introduces the notion of 'year round' species rather than pure 'winter' ones. Pike and perch will oblige the hardy winter angler by allowing themselves to be caught in cold weather in some places...perhaps even most places but certainly not all.

I answered the question about 'tiddlers' right off perhaps without thinking what exactly you mean by them, do you mean small pike and perch? or other species? I am not intimate with all of the lakes, I regularly fish 5 of them with odd days at most of the other main ones, the one closest to me and which I fish the most has a roach and dace (and reports come in of a whole range of other things some plausable others not so) population, brown trout, sea trout and salmon run through it on their way to the spawning becks, there are eels, lamprey and minnows, the researchers at Lancaster uni tell us (and yes they do keep us informed from time to time) that there was always a background population of roach, we didn't encounter them until their presence became obvious, and at some point in the 90s they became the predominant species. That has swung back to it being the perch. The thing is unless roach and dace are specifically targeted they tend not to get caught. On saying that I did catch a 'whopper' of a roach as darkness fell one evening which took a ledgered large lob on a size 6 hook which was intended for perch. I have has the odd feeder session targeting roach, using maggots and small hooks, it works, but..well what can one say? it's fishin' but not as we know it! :) We dont catch them becasuse they seldom take lures and spinners (my son took a 4" roach fair in the mouth with a full size Shakespeare Big S, don't know what that was all about?).

The full range of lures and spinners, baits for 'sit down fishin' lobworms (primarily for perch) and sea deadbaits for pike, for roach means we dont catch many small (tiddlers) fish.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"