Perch season

Anderoo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again? That's the second time you've taken a dunking in recent weeks. It would be best to get off to the docs just in case.........I've just had a horrible thought, you weren't using the Avon Elite were you? :D

Sorry Chris, I didn't see this post m8. No I wasn't using the witcher I was using an allcock aerial ;). To be honest if a reel of mine does fall in the drink when I lift it out the water will just run off it as I always cover them in a layer of oil (all over, inside and out :) ). After a session I wipe them off with a cloth or tissue and re-cover with oil.

Serves you right for living in the north :P

It's only just starting here in the lovely south B)

You may have a point, I started out in the North, born and bred. left home at 15 and wandered the earth until my early 30s and came back up here. I have lived in Ulster the Midlands, Essex and Yorkshire (which is way down south to us), and while I have to say I enjoyed fishing in different places (there was also the Middle east, france, Germany Canada and the US). The hugely noticable thing about southern parts of our country is the overpopulation and waters clogged up with other fishers. Tomorrow I shall be launching the boat to take my son out piking, he has been working in Iraq and had no fishing since early June. We will have a 4x1 mile lake to ourselves. If we see another 2 anglers it will be considered an unusually busy day. It is heaven.

Winter fishing is for me a relatively recent thing, something I have taken to over the past 10 or so years. Although we would but the odd day in piking and never (yes never!) caught anything up here. Before that the short days of winter and working full time left little time, and winter meant hunting, shooting, coursing, ferreting with lots of time spent exercising and training the dogs.

bass1.jpg

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

The hugely noticable thing about southern parts of our country is the overpopulation and waters clogged up with other fishers.

That's true of a certain type of place - basically anywhere that has decent stocks of carp or barbel. Aside from that, you'd be amazed at how much underfished, or even completely unfished, water there is. When I am river fishing, I am genuinely surprised to see another angler.

The stillwaters are generally very busy (as most have our old scaley mates in them), and the only way I've found to overcome that is to pay the extra for a quiet syndicate. It's a real shame it has to be that way, but it is, and you only get one life.

I do love fishing up in the Lakes though. My parents have lived in Penrith for 10 years or so, and I've had some fantastic days nicking little brownies out of fellside streams and catching slightly bigger(!) ones afloat on Ullswater. I haven't done any perch or pike fishing up there, the fly fishing is always too much to ignore :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That's true of a certain type of place - basically anywhere that has decent stocks of carp or barbel. Aside from that, you'd be amazed at how much underfished, or even completely unfished, water there is. When I am river fishing, I am genuinely surprised to see another angler.

The stillwaters are generally very busy (as most have our old scaley mates in them), and the only way I've found to overcome that is to pay the extra for a quiet syndicate. It's a real shame it has to be that way, but it is, and you only get one life.

I do love fishing up in the Lakes though. My parents have lived in Penrith for 10 years or so, and I've had some fantastic days nicking little brownies out of fellside streams and catching slightly bigger(!) ones afloat on Ullswater. I haven't done any perch or pike fishing up there, the fly fishing is always too much to ignore :)

The answer is to fish for the Pike and Perch on the fly.

Best of both worlds

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

In Kent, my clubs river venues are generally pretty deserted even at this time of year and I can often wander through our stretches without meeting another angler, I cannot say the same for the lakes, however.

I will start me Perch campaign dropshotting on the rivers and see what turns up; I will revert to my worm and maggot techniques only if (or when), the dropshotting fails.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

In Kent, my clubs river venues are generally pretty deserted even at this time of year and I can often wander through our stretches without meeting another angler, I cannot say the same for the lakes, however.

Same story here Tony with my club waters. There are a couple of river venues which are popular with the barbellers but it's very possible to fish them midweek and find even those deserted. Venues which aren't known for barbel rarely get fished.

I like it that way.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

it's very possible to fish them midweek and find even those deserted.

and someone else said, " I can often wander through our stretches without meeting another angler"

Doesn't sound like there are certainties. ;)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

All,

John won't holler at me for a slight deviation. It occurs to me with 50 million folks and 50 thousand sq/mi (Phone facts (?)) it would be hard to be alone for very long on any good "fishin hole". When you say, "up North" are you still talking about England or are you talking about "way up North?

Phone