Of all the different types of coarse angling just who is the most skilful?

Guest Mark Cunnington

Guest andy jack
Originally posted by Paul Selman:

As primarily a carp angler I offer one or two of you a challenge.

Come for a days coarse fishing with me in moving or stillwater fishing for anything that swims, with float, lead, feeder, pole, centre-pin or fixed spool.

Then afterwards, we shall retire to the bar for another contest! With you paying, my friend!

You see. I have served my apprenticeship in both

respects.

After leaving the pub, I invite you to fish a night on one of my carp waters - but you must be able to cast at least 130 yards with a carp rod!

In short, stop stereotyping carp anglers!

The only bit I may struggle with is paying for your beer. But in saying that I am also a carp angler, with only one string to my bow, NOT. biggrin.gif

Where do these guys think we materialise from. I started carp fishing because, being so sucsessfull at general angling, it was becoming monotonus and samey. I am not saying that to be blase or to try and wind any one up, It is a fact. When I started carp fishing it was like a breath of fresh air. Everything to learn and a whole new set of challenges. Why people appear to have such a problem with carp anglers is beyond me. Why they think carp anglers cannot fish, is even more baffling. Yes there are some instant carp anglers out there, but they are a minority. Many if not most carp anglers have had a long and sucsessful apprenticeship, in other branches of the sport first. Just like riding a bike lads. smile.gif

Guest poledark

I carp fished for over forty years beginning in 1951 and although I no longer do the night and weekend sessions I still tend to fish the same venues but on a daily basis.

Most of them are well established carp fisheries and the looks and comments that I get when I get the pole or feeder rods out are usually pretty insulting.

Unfortunately most of these carp anglers know next to nothing about any other form of fishing but they usually feel free to comment on what I am doing, the most common question is "what will you do if you hook a carp?"

I tend to answer them with the same question.

I fish about 3 or 4 days a week and see the same carp men fishing the same swims with the same baits and blanking week after week.

I rarely see them catch anything, although they ocasionaly get one during the night when they are tucked up in their beds.

They tend to have very limited skills,reading the water is definitely NOT one of them, if it were why do they rarely move swims or fish another part of the lake? Most popular swims are nearest to the car park.

There may be some with a good all round knowledge of fishing but I talk to most of them and they have never barbel fished, or even river fished, never roach fished wouldn't know one end of a fly rod from the other,wouldnot waste their time fishing for anything else but carp.

OK that is their choice But the ability to tie on a "rig" and hurl it out as far as they can does not make them good anglers, and that is about all that most of them can do.

What I find so sad is that they spend hours and hours discussing the latest flavor and newest reels/rods/pods and alarms and yet when they arrive at the lake they fish the same swims as last week and chuck the bait out to the same spot in which they blanked several times before.

I suppose I am being a bit hard on them, Big carp are not stupid and perhaps session fishing gives one the best chance to get a few but it is still very limited in its skills.

Now you posters on AN are probably not like this and that is why you think we are having a go at you but we cant all be wrong, a lot of carp men continue to go to the pits because they can hide from the real world and these are the ones which give carp fishing a bad name.

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, when I used to match fish, which I did for 5 years (winning 3 major trophies in the first season alone) I lost the enjoyment of fishing because of the competitiveness of it. That may sound daft, but that is how I felt.

I then had a break for 5 years (girls and cars!!) before taking up fishing specifically for carp after accidentally catching one.

I found that fishing for carp was totally different, a different disipline(s?) altogether.

So to me match fishing and carp fishing are like comparing the skill difference between a Beckham and Bartez, they both play football, but with a different dicipline.(no I don't support Man U!)

Am I making sense?

But one thing that is soooo true is that there is the same percentage of poor quality anglers in each stlye of fishing.

This is what really winds me up, it's always the carp anglers that get mentioned first and then everyone 'jumps on the band wagon'! mad.gif

I got talked into fishing a match last year, I was the only one without a pole, I was mocked and jeared(s?), nicely I might add, for using a carp rod and a big pit reel.

(I sold the rest of my gear to by my carp gear)

I fished the 'Method' at about 40yrds after thinking that the fish would be seeking santuary in the middle of the lake.

Sure enough I won the match, not only with the biggest catch, but with the biggest fish. smile.gif (I insisted on catch, weigh and release)

(the biggest fish weighing 17lb, in the match all fish over 8lb counted was 8lb)

So if there are IMO the same percentage of poor quality anglers in all styles of fishing why is the finger pointed at the carp angler first?

Lastly, yes I do take it personally when people point the finger and carp anglers generally, perhaps I shouldn't, but I do! wink.gif

Finally, my biggest weakness is river fishing, I've never fished a river in my life, so one day I'll have a go at these Barbel, can't be any harder than fishing for carp surely! biggrin.gif

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 20 March 2001).]