Grinding Groundbait

Elton

Be sure to let us see your results after using it Elton. That style of grinder is pretty well standard with the few serious US carpers I know.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How fine do they grind down, Newt?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Corn meal is the intended product of these so a coarse meal that is close enough to flour to make into tortillas. It will not get the mix down to a powder though.

The large screw on the front sets the 'grind' by moving the grinding plates closer or further from each other.

1st pass with the plates loose enough to easily handle the largest of your particles. After that, tighten and run the mix through again. I usually got by nicely with no more than two passes but occasionally when I wanted it really fine, I would do a third.

If you are using largish grains of maize (hard kernels of 'field corn' just to make sure we take the same meaning) the first run will be pretty coarse. After that, you can set for finer without any problems.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sounds spot on. I'll sell a few bits, get the cash and order one. Yesterday's groundbait-making was okay, but took too long with the underpowered electric grinder.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Here is mine. You could hook a motor to it I suppose but it is pretty easy to use with just the hand crank.

I'd offer to send you one but the critter is a little heavy to ship. All cast iron except the 'basket' on top, the adjusting screw for the plates and the wood on the handle.

grinder-1.jpg

grinder-2.jpg

Newt,

Mine is now in place. If you ever visit the UK again, you are welcome to make yourself at home in my shed :D

grinder.jpg

Have you given it a test yet?

Have you given it a test yet?

Yep - it grinds maize superbly, pellets with ease and tigernuts take two passes. :)

Looks good so I have just ordered one from Northern Tools. It will be interesting to see what sort of a job it does with hempseed

I ended up getting the Ebay one, as the Porkert name seemed well regarded. It will be interesting to see what the Northern Tolls one is like when you get it. I'll try some hemp in mine later.

Just got to work out some killer recipes now :)

Hear is my reciept for ground bait for bream, roach and tench

Stale bread, white or brown or mixed. (seeded breads are really good) ask your local bakery.

I use a food processor (robcop)

grind the bread to a powder.

peanuts (from the garden center, sold as wild bird food)

These are also ground up not as fine as the bread, this lets out a nice oil slick when throw in the water.

I then use diffrent flavorings depending on thet ime of year, venue or fish targeted

Custard Powder

Chilli powder

Curry powder

Tandori spice mix

coco powder (or drinking choclate)

I then mix these indrdients dry.

Then I grind up a tin of sweetcorn and its liquid.

This is then mixed on the bank with the dry ingrdients.

I find this works really well.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"