Grinding Groundbait

Elton

bluerinse,

I'm going to have to try this one tonight. I have some stale bread rolls and some peanuts to grind up anyway. Might add a little vanilla to the mix in the processor. Add corn on the bank. That was my basic mix that I was going to try this weekend. Now I'll just have it nearly premade.

Thanks

Rick

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bluerinse,

I made up a batch tonight. Mixed white bread that was dried out, peanuts that were stale, plus some seasonings. I took a small bag down to the local duck pond and the carp and silverfish were going nuts for it. Towards the end I made a little ball with some pond water and plopped it in. For the next 10 minutes the fish were going nutz digging it out of the silt. I saw 8-10 carp and who knows how many silver fish (couldn't tell just what they were since the water is muddy) all at once for a golf ball sized lump. I'm sold.

Thanks,

Rick

I dont make actual groundbait (other than liquidised bread)anymore but do grind up my own groundbait additives.

One to try for roach is to take equal quantities of fennel and corriander seeds.Grind them up and add to normal crumb.

Before grinding hemp or nuts I find it best to toast them first.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I got a full blown Kenwood Chef at a car boot, about 17 years ago, for a fiver. Since then, it's done a few hundredweight of boiles with no problem. I use the liquidiser add-on for milling stuff for pastes, or making boilie mixes from lumpy stuff, like pellet.

If you want to use hemp, then have a go at roasting it, until it goes slightly browner. It then grinds down better, and works very well as a binder once gound. The roasting also releases a few free aminos (as the roasting process breaks down the cellulose a bit), which work very well.

Another good'un, which I'm working with at the moment, is de-husked hemp, which I get from my sister's organic bakery in Hastings. If you put it in loose as it comes, it doesn't need boiling, but still has all the oils. If you dry it (in the oven, at low temp for about half an hour) then grind it fine, it will bind as well as soya, and semoilina, for boilies. The advantage is, it is about 5 times as nutritious as soya, ten times as nutritious as semolina, and I know the fish already love it (oh yeah, and I get it by the the kilo, free!). So far, during the closed season, I had carp going bonkers on it when added to my own boilie mix of EMP, and Mollassed Rabbit Mix. I've not really used it in anger in groundbait or paste yet, as I've been working too hard. I know it'll work in ground bait, but as my paste is only ever offered on a hook, there is probably no way I'll be able to test it properly that way.

Now Elton, I know you'll keep it to yourself, won't you?

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

bluerinse,

I'm going to have to try this one tonight. I have some stale bread rolls and some peanuts to grind up anyway. Might add a little vanilla to the mix in the processor. Add corn on the bank. That was my basic mix that I was going to try this weekend. Now I'll just have it nearly premade.

Thanks

Rick

Im pleased it worked well for you, now my secret ground bait is no longer secret :)

It reaqly is good, I find that the spicey ones work best in the colder months, the custard one works will in the summer and coco also has its days in the summer, plus your hands smell nice after :P

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• 2 years later...

Anyone here into grinding their own groundbait ingredients?

Absolute best groundbait, 2mm micros feed pellets ground to fine flour powder, buy 25kilo for £26 from grain or farm/fishing supplies, when ground add 20% ground expander pellets, place the dusty flour type mix in a bowl get a whisk and keep adding water untill the dryish mix can form into dry hard balls under pressure, break up the test ball then place all of the groundbait into the freezer overnight making sure you remove it very early the day you go fishing or the night before place it in the fridge.

When feeding the groundbait put 3 tennis ball size into the swim you are using first, if on a contest make sure the balls are ready rolled, they should go spladoosh and be noisy entering the water, you can pot them out and drop them from a couple of feet, at the same time drop a pot of pellets

This is a lake solution rivers will break up the bait quickly and be dispersed before hitting the bottom, on lakes the groundbait will explode when reaching the bottom.

Hope this helps

Imbacrs