North Esk

Jan O

Hi Jan

You're wait is over :P

I used to fish the N Esk regularly a few years ago but haven't fished it for about 5 years.

You may find this link helpful

http://www.fishesks.co.uk/

I used to fish Gallery and Canterlands which are beats on the lower river.

It is not a big river and a single handed rod of 10' will do most of what you need. Occasionally I would use a 15ft double hander to get better presentation.

You don't say what time of year you are going and it does make a difference.

The fishing has improved in the spring recently but note the mandatory catch and release up until 1st June.

The summer can be difficult if levels are low, but there are sea trout at night and usually plenty of grilse from May/June onward.

September / October are probably the best bet for Salmon throughout the river but availability can be an issue. Some of the lower beats have been syndicated and are difficult to get on.

For summer / Autumn fishing a floating line is adequate with perhaps a sink tip or sinking polyleader when there is plenty of flow. Most of the normal flies work, with smaller sizes being more effective in the summer. I would not be without a stoats tail for summer and Autumn and maybe a silver stoats tail earlier in the spring. The Ally's shrimp and Cascade shrimp are very popular and catch a lot of fish.

Spinning and fishing with the worm is allowed on some beats in certain water conditions but N. Esk is predominantly a fly water. Fishing with shrimp or prawn bait is not allowed anywhere on the river.

It is a very scenic river and just about all of it is enjoyable to fish.

Let me know when you are coming, I might have some more up to date news.

Cheers

Dave

Oops :oops:

Just re-read youre post and see that you are coming in April.

OK, good chance of plenty of water and even some fish. Sink tip should be OK but bring a sinking line just in case. Silver stoat or small tubes along with a selection of shrimp flies. Cascade shrimp has been successful this year (but everyone is using it). Water will be cold and weather could be interesting so neoprenes and lots of layers.

Have fun

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi Jan

You're wait is over :P

I used to fish the N Esk regularly a few years ago but haven't fished it for about 5 years.

You may find this link helpful

http://www.fishesks.co.uk/

I used to fish Gallery and Canterlands which are beats on the lower river.

It is not a big river and a single handed rod of 10' will do most of what you need. Occasionally I would use a 15ft double hander to get better presentation.

You don't say what time of year you are going and it does make a difference.

The fishing has improved in the spring recently but note the mandatory catch and release up until 1st June.

The summer can be difficult if levels are low, but there are sea trout at night and usually plenty of grilse from May/June onward.

September / October are probably the best bet for Salmon throughout the river but availability can be an issue. Some of the lower beats have been syndicated and are difficult to get on.

For summer / Autumn fishing a floating line is adequate with perhaps a sink tip or sinking polyleader when there is plenty of flow. Most of the normal flies work, with smaller sizes being more effective in the summer. I would not be without a stoats tail for summer and Autumn and maybe a silver stoats tail earlier in the spring. The Ally's shrimp and Cascade shrimp are very popular and catch a lot of fish.

Spinning and fishing with the worm is allowed on some beats in certain water conditions but N. Esk is predominantly a fly water. Fishing with shrimp or prawn bait is not allowed anywhere on the river.

It is a very scenic river and just about all of it is enjoyable to fish.

Let me know when you are coming, I might have some more up to date news.

Cheers

Dave

Oops :oops:

Just re-read youre post and see that you are coming in April.

OK, good chance of plenty of water and even some fish. Sink tip should be OK but bring a sinking line just in case. Silver stoat or small tubes along with a selection of shrimp flies. Cascade shrimp has been successful this year (but everyone is using it). Water will be cold and weather could be interesting so neoprenes and lots of layers.

Have fun

Hi Dave and thank you very much...

• 10 months later...

...returned from scotland last sunday and what a wonderful river and what a wonderful country... :) I loved it. One whole week with good food, flyfishing and actually some salmon. We fished the Dalhousie beat, the Burn and the Stractahro beat. The water was fairly low and it hadnt rained a lot in a long time... The first days we fished small shrimps and flies like the stoats tail but had no success. I thought about how we do in Sweden when its hard fishing and tried a big Sunray Shadow, speeded it a bit and was rewarded almost imediately with a nice springer, a bit over 32 inches... the following day I played a salmon for over 20 minutes, the fish never got tired and finally won, we estimated the fish at 20 pounds minimum!... It took a big Allys Shrimp. The water was rising and was a bit coloured and a bit dirty. As a small comfort I got a nice seatrout soon after... Thanks for all the tips, I will be back next year... :) More pictures here

http://janofiske.blogspot.com/

post-3321-1242191865_thumb.jpg

post-3321-1242191882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jan O