Another teaser

Well I did the video card update and all went well, so I am sat there twiddling the thumbs itching to mess with something when I realised my wired keyboard and mouse were almost vintage so I set about purchasing new. For the keyboard I settled on the Logitech solar powered job and I am really pleased with it. :)

For the mouse I went for a Speedlink MYST Touch Scroll Mouse which looks like a work of art, however I am doubting it's functionality. The cursor freezes from time to time and has a habit of vanishing until you give the mouse a tap. The device claims to install without the requirement of drivers, not entirely true it uses MS drivers and it loads it's self twice. have tried deleting it and letting it reinstall but still end up with a double entry in deivice manager, both enteries using the same drivers, not bad for a device that claims it does not require drivers. :rolleyes: The other annoying element is when you go to mouse in the control panel it shows an ordinary mouse with a normal scroll wheel which it does not have, so you cannot check the functions.

have visited the site and it blows a lot of smoke in the direction of it's nether regions but is some what scarce support.

My question is why does it load it's self twice?

I did think it was something to do with being wireless but the keyboard only has a single entry.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

just go to device manager and remove both mice and reboot and see if both re-appear ,switch off the mouse as it reboots and if theres one showing then its a software issue ,if you installed drivers then generally windows excepts you have something they need ,no need for many 3rd party drivers anymore windows has the majority built in.

you can merely disable the ordinary mouse in device manager and use the 3rd party software to use the functions of the special mouse if you wish ,it will be separate from the usual windows mouse dooda

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Well I did the video card update and all went well, so I am sat there twiddling the thumbs itching to mess with something when I realised my wired keyboard and mouse were almost vintage so I set about purchasing new. For the keyboard I settled on the Logitech solar powered job and I am really pleased with it. :)

For the mouse I went for a Speedlink MYST Touch Scroll Mouse which looks like a work of art, however I am doubting it's functionality. The cursor freezes from time to time and has a habit of vanishing until you give the mouse a tap. The device claims to install without the requirement of drivers, not entirely true it uses MS drivers and it loads it's self twice. have tried deleting it and letting it reinstall but still end up with a double entry in deivice manager, both enteries using the same drivers, not bad for a device that claims it does not require drivers. :rolleyes: The other annoying element is when you go to mouse in the control panel it shows an ordinary mouse with a normal scroll wheel which it does not have, so you cannot check the functions.

have visited the site and it blows a lot of smoke in the direction of it's nether regions but is some what scarce support.

My question is why does it load it's self twice?

I did think it was something to do with being wireless but the keyboard only has a single entry.

Some newer mice will install dual drivers. I've known mice from roccat and razer to do so. It's usually an extra driver for a special device like an extra sensor etc

One of my older roccat mice installed two drivers due to a realtime surface scanner that automatically adjusts the mouse sensor to the surface your using it on. Might be something similar...in this case it might be the touch functionality which MS could detect as an hid compliant mouse or track pad. So you have a driver for the mouse itself and one for the touch sensitive scroll wheel. Possibly.

Rather than restarting just disable one with a right click and see if your mouse still works. If not you have your answer. You'll need to plug it into a new USB port to reinstall and enable it again. But you should be able to do it without a restart.

Some newer mice will install dual drivers. I've known mice from roccat and razer to do so. It's usually an extra driver for a special device like an extra sensor etc

One of my older roccat mice installed two drivers due to a realtime surface scanner that automatically adjusts the mouse sensor to the surface your using it on. Might be something similar...in this case it might be the touch functionality which MS could detect as an hid compliant mouse or track pad. So you have a driver for the mouse itself and one for the touch sensitive scroll wheel. Possibly.

Rather than restarting just disable one with a right click and see if your mouse still works. If not you have your answer. You'll need to plug it into a new USB port to reinstall and enable it again. But you should be able to do it without a restart.

I did what you said and I have decided it does require the two entries, it will not function on one. It also appears as if it needs a direct line of communication with the receiver, when objects get in the line of fire it causes it to play up, freezing and erratic movements, it was this that started me looking at the installation until I cottoned onto this issue. To overcome it I tried using it in my USB hub / card reader which is only a few weeks old but it will not perform connected that way even from a clean start.

I love the idea of wireless mouse and keyboard but the mouse is performing well below par.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

i have an excellent microsoft one whose receiver is well out of sight and so far not a hiccup from it ,the only problem is forgetting to switch it off otherwise it needs a new battery every few months

its a microsoft wireless mobile mouse 4000 a present from my extremly elderly new pc user neighbour (born in 1926 and finding anything more advanced than a dansette record player technical) who not only has a right hand finger that plays havoc with a mouse he also gets on the phone when he kept using this one facing the wrong way ,now he has a wire to guide where the right end is but still the bloody right finger twitch!

been using wireless mice for years even IR versions with connections to the rear serial mouse plugs

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i have an excellent microsoft one whose receiver is well out of sight and so far not a hiccup from it ,the only problem is forgetting to switch it off otherwise it needs a new battery every few months

its a microsoft wireless mobile mouse 4000 a present from my extremly elderly new pc user neighbour (born in 1926 and finding anything more advanced than a dansette record player technical) who not only has a right hand finger that plays havoc with a mouse he also gets on the phone when he kept using this one facing the wrong way ,now he has a wire to guide where the right end is but still the bloody right finger twitch!

been using wireless mice for years even IR versions with connections to the rear serial mouse plugs

I am thinking about returning it as not fit for use, spent another hour today trying to get it to work correctly, supposed to be good up to 10m not working at 1m.

Well I have just spent the last hour and a half sorting two very annoying yellow astrid's in device manager MS ISATAP Adapter and MS Teredo Tunneling Adapter. Had to do a bit in comand prompt and a bit of regediting all sorted now so I can rest easy

Things all running 100% smoothly apart from the mouse, all in all a successful day for an old fart

eat.gif

Petals Florist

I am thinking about returning it as not fit for use, spent another hour today trying to get it to work correctly, supposed to be good up to 10m not working at 1m.

Well I have just spent the last hour and a half sorting two very annoying yellow astrid's in device manager MS ISATAP Adapter and MS Teredo Tunneling Adapter. Had to do a bit in comand prompt and a bit of regediting all sorted now so I can rest easy

Things all running 100% smoothly apart from the mouse, all in all a successful day for an old fart

I've installed countless wireless mice and keyboards for clients and for me not one has performed up to the par of even the most basic wired versions! Even Apple! We have a new suite of iMacs at work and the wireless keyboards eat batteries and the mice go to sleep which means an annoying 20 second wait at the windows login screen before it bothers to move!

Personally I'll pay for a high end keyboard and mouse combo that are both wired! Currently a roccat Kone mouse and a Saitek cyborg V5 keyboard. Ok I'm a high end pc gamer and digital artist, so I'm willing to pay for high performance mice etc but even so I'd expect a wireless combo to be equal of a good mouse and keyboard...and quite frankly I've never found one that I would say works suitably with minimal hassle. Let alone what happens if you happen to need to boot to safe mode/ choose boot options or anything outside of a driver based environment!

Anyway, as I suspected...double install, one for sensor, one for mouse optics...it's becoming common practice.

The Microsoft ones have always been the best of the bunch to be fair, those and, curiously enough, Genius ones. I've had good success with both; or at least better success than other versions! Lol!

I've installed countless wireless mice and keyboards for clients and for me not one has performed up to the par of even the most basic wired versions! Even Apple! We have a new suite of iMacs at work and the wireless keyboards eat batteries and the mice go to sleep which means an annoying 20 second wait at the windows login screen before it bothers to move!

Personally I'll pay for a high end keyboard and mouse combo that are both wired! Currently a roccat Kone mouse and a Saitek cyborg V5 keyboard. Ok I'm a high end pc gamer and digital artist, so I'm willing to pay for high performance mice etc but even so I'd expect a wireless combo to be equal of a good mouse and keyboard...and quite frankly I've never found one that I would say works suitably with minimal hassle. Let alone what happens if you happen to need to boot to safe mode/ choose boot options or anything outside of a driver based environment!

Anyway, as I suspected...double install, one for sensor, one for mouse optics...it's becoming common practice.

The Microsoft ones have always been the best of the bunch to be fair, those and, curiously enough, Genius ones. I've had good success with both; or at least better success than other versions! Lol!

It appears I have a Friday afternoon job, contacted speedlink yesterday afternoon explaining situation, reply this morning advising me to return and exhange for new. Contacted Maplin customer care new mouse in the post and fingers crossed. :lol:

I must admit my first venture into wireless 100% pleased with Logitech keyboard, nice feel and fuctions just like a wired one, being solar powered no battery problems.

One would have thought that by now wireless would be well up to speed, not exactly the new man on the block. I was going to invest in a wireless sound system and possibly a pad for my autocad work.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

It appears I have a Friday afternoon job, contacted speedlink yesterday afternoon explaining situation, reply this morning advising me to return and exhange for new. Contacted Maplin customer care new mouse in the post and fingers crossed. :lol:

I must admit my first venture into wireless 100% pleased with Logitech keyboard, nice feel and fuctions just like a wired one, being solar powered no battery problems.

One would have thought that by now wireless would be well up to speed, not exactly the new man on the block. I was going to invest in a wireless sound system and possibly a pad for my autocad work.

woudlnt touch a wireless pad/tablet with someone elses barge pole! let alone mine!!

you only need one "blip" in the signal and your design is ruined, or a line appears where its not supposed to or your pen thickness changes mid storke or whatever...they can also struggle to keep up with alot of quick fluid pen strokes; maybe not an issue in CAD but certainly annoying as hell in photoshop! ive tried them and thrown them quicker than a rat up a row of spuds!

utter nightmare!! my only change to that would be a wacom/genius tablet which has a wireless mouse for use "on" the tablet...ie your tablet just sits on the desk connected via usb but the mouse you use is wireless in the same way the pen is.

Currently i use a wacom bamboo and a genius tablet...both are superb. the Genius has a wireless mouse to run on the tablet if desired but i tend to use the pen almost all the time anyway. i honestly would never touch a fully wireless pad/tablet! the interuptions in workflow would be a night mare.

good luck with the replacement i hope it works better.

Edited by kirisute

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the new mouse and it works well to date, I have used it on the cad system without a problem, however I must start a new thread as I now have a software problem :lol:

eat.gif

Petals Florist