What fish do a vanishing act in your area...

Tigger

I always target the fish late afternoon in winter (at peak temp's) as as soon as the sun starts to go down the temp's plummet and the water temp's soon after. I've tried all or most of the good / likely looking holding spots, small hooks, small baits and visa versa and at certain times of year no ammount of anything will get a bite (on my local small river). I have to say I know this river very very well and am confident unless you electrofish it or net it you'll not get a sniff of a fish...except the larger chub, as I say at certain times of year and even the better times in winter won't produce very much action at all..

I know lutra has fished his local river all his life and he tell's me it's the same and all but a few of the larger fish vanish.

Its true there's a lot of fish-less river in the dead of winter Ian, but as others have said, "right time, right spot and light tackle" and its not all bad.

At the end of last season (when the river was water again and not one solid lump of ice), I was doing OK fishing short sessions after work. I cleared 10lb of chublets, dace and roach (some nice roach) a few times in around an hour and a half. Ive known it a lot slower than that in summer Ian. :)

ps. I know from fishing your river with you Ian, that it has a good head of nice dace. So their over wintering somewhere.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the carp thing slows reeeeet down round here but the piking picks up which is nice and theres some nice day ticket piking i discovered last year, roll on week off next week! :D Something strange, i struggle to find Chub in the winter, although i know their there. The Grayling takes over though and they provide me with a nice reward on a cold sunday afternoon!

gone

Its true there's a lot of fish-less river in the dead of winter Ian, but as others have said, "right time, right spot and light tackle" and its not all bad.

At the end of last season (when the river was water again and not one solid lump of ice), I was doing OK fishing short sessions after work. I cleared 10lb of chublets, dace and roach (some nice roach) a few times in around an hour and a half. Ive known it a lot slower than that in summer Ian. :)

ps. I know from fishing your river with you Ian, that it has a good head of nice dace. So their over wintering somewhere.

Yeah, but your talkin late season, I'm talkin' january / febuary and I challenge anyone to catch anything other than chub on my local stream during those two months if it's really cold. I don't think there's many fish holding areas that are actually fishable that I don't know.

We'll give it a go this winter if you like Brian, but be prepared for a blank ;):lol: .

Yeah, but your talkin late season, I'm talkin' january / febuary and I challenge anyone to catch anything other than chub on my local stream during those two months if it's really cold. I don't think there's many fish holding areas that are actually fishable that I don't know.

We'll give it a go this winter if you like Brian, but be prepared for a blank ;):lol: .

The stretch i was fishing at the end of last season Ian produces well right through the winter when the river and weather conditions are right.

No probs, I'm pretty good at blanking to Ian, its the only way to learn sometimes. I should think especially so if you are fishing a river with few other anglers to give you feed back. I'll fetch a flask of hot tea and my walking boots. ;)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Tigger what is your local river and how accessible is it? I can walk but not far I can get a friend to pull my trolley so it does sound interesting.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Tigger what is your local river and how accessible is it? I can walk but not far I can get a friend to pull my trolley so it does sound interesting.

Rod, for the most is is quite alkward to access the productive spots which can be a fair walk and there are no pegs as such. You would find it quite hard going I would suspect if your not physically able.

Rod, for the most is is quite alkward to access the productive spots which can be a fair walk and there are no pegs as such. You would find it quite hard going I would suspect if your not physically able.

Sadly you may well be right on that one, However I have been giving some more thought to where the fish vanish to and I think the answer may be that most of us fish just small parts of a river system. Perhaps the fish either go up feeder streams and rivers which join the river you are fishing or perhaps they swim down river into a larger river which your river joins. Thereby leaving your river empty and the fish have just slipped off to the side or far upstream or downstream. After all we all agree they don't exactly vanish they maybe migrate during hard or cold times. Then once the weather improves they return.

Perhaps that is the simple answer. Perhaps some of us have less streams joining the area we prefer to fish and locks and weirs preventing the fish moving far, the fish are therefore pretty much trapped in a smaller area.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Toady,

We agree, I went today but due to physical limitations I had to fish where they "ain't". Although the fish were home I simply couldn't get there. Weather and water is still fine. Flooding has changed their habitat and there is no easy access where I (we) fished.

Phone

You should give me a shout when your going too Ian. Three rods in should make it much easier to find the blighters ;)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk