Advice/tips:Pike and bream

ben88

Im off to fish a practically unfished exquarry on the weekend that apparently has some good bream and pike. Im not overly familiar with this place, infact the last time I blanked and this was about 7 years ago.

I was thinking of fishing a fresh shop brought mackerel dead bait with a feeder full of mashed fish for added attractant but on such a natural virtually unfished venue would I be better off using a natural dead bait such as a frozen roach from the tackle shop.

For the Bream I was planning an open ended feed with a size 12-16 hook with either corn or maggot or cocktail on the hook or a small robin red pellet on a hair as I have had success with these on another virtually unfished lake for the carp.

does anyone have any experience or tips to share on any other waters such as this?

hmmmm really

For the bream I'd opt for bread, worm and sweetcorn in that order. I'd tend to agree with natural rather than sea baits for the pike.

What size hook would you use with the bread, would I need to size up my hooks?

hmmmm really

If I were given the opportunity to fish a water like that I would try to get to know it as much as possible. Why not consider ulre fishing it for the pike? You could walk around casting hither and thither, this will hopefully allow you to identify any pike hot spots, where you get follows, takes and catch, which can go into the mental (or written, a notebook is s good fishing tool) picture you build up of the place. Also a spinning/lure set up is an exellent appartus for depth finding, you count down the (sinking of course) lure or spinner util the line slackens as it reaches the bottom. That knowledge of depth will help with your bream fishing, knowing where those deep spots are may be useful especially with the colder weather coming. You could of course do the depth finding with a sliding float and plummet, but with the lure set up your likely to actually catch something as you explore.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I was going to take some lures just incase I got bored sitting in the same spot for 24+hours but I will defo give try counting down with the lures.

With the water being an ex quarry it apparently over 40ft in places :o :o

hmmmm really

I was going to take some lures just incase I got bored sitting in the same spot for 24+hours but I will defo give try counting down with the lures.

With the water being an ex quarry it apparently over 40ft in places :o :o

Don't be put off of scared by that depth, our 'big one' (Windermere...and there are deeper ones) goes down past 200 feet! 40' is the shallow end. ;)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"