How much should the EA charge for water abstraction?

Leon Roskilly

All,

Can someone explain the word "abstraction" in this context. It is not an often used word and appearently not used at all as it is used in Leon's link. I don't understand what is is they want - y'all.

Phone

I DID look in the dictionary.

All,

Can someone explain the word "abstraction" in this context. It is not an often used word and appearently not used at all as it is used in Leon's link. I don't understand what is is they want - y'all.

Phone

I DID look in the dictionary.

Water is abstracted (taken) either directly from rivers or from the water table that maintains a river's flow.

This has the effect of lowering both the flow and the depth of the river, and in some cases causing the river to dry completely.

The Environment Agency issues licences to water companies and other heavy water users.

It's the age-old problem that if a regulator gains income from allowing a damaging activity to take place, they become reliant on that income.

Whereas low charges do little to deter potential abstractors, high charges might tempt the EA to be more lax in protecting water-courses.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Water is abstracted (taken) either directly from rivers or from the water table that maintains a river's flow.

This has the effect of lowering both the flow and the depth of the river, and in some cases causing the river to dry completely.

The Environment Agency issues licences to water companies and other heavy water users.

t's the age-old problem that if a regulator gains income from allowing a damaging activity to take place, they become reliant on that income.

Whereas low charges do little to deter potential abstractors, high charges might tempt the EA to be more lax in protecting water-courses.

Water is the most basic of "rights" throughout human history. A few greedy sods are working out how to turn it into a commodity to be traded internationally and further impoverish their friends and family as they "head for the high ground".

Only a well paid clown would cede water to some well meaning body.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net