HOW TO DESTROY UK RIVERS AND THEIR LIFEFORMS

RollingPinBoy

A friend of mine is having problems on the Kentish Stour similar to what I experienced on the Hampshire Avon regarding destructive EA Mechanical Weed Cutting. Although the EA have 'generally' ceased down here, they have not totally, or elsewhere, and they are still issuing consents and exemptions to others to continue the damaging practice. If you think that Kayaks and canoes damage an SSSI/SAC and non-protected river habitat, then you need to see what the Environment Agency and Natural England and others do to our rivers!

As most have never seen this happening, I have put together some video footage on 'You Tube' to publicise the carnage and give you an insight and to show what can and does happen. The first part of the vid is 18+ minutes and best played through headphones and larger frame to get the full effect. It is best to watch 'direct' at You Tube as it plays better and runs freely.

I am sure they would not want anyone to see this footage!

Here is the link –

Best Regards..Ray Walton

Edited by RollingPinBoy

Preparing for winter floods? I believe they have been doing it for most of my lifetime, on both rivers.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

That's a fair chunk of biomass from the base of the food pyramid floating away out to sea.

...and when that machine trundles over a gravel bar it can't do the bottom much good either.

However, against that you have to consider the consequences should weed cutting cease. The weeds eventually restrict flow, and the beds of ranunculus become choked with flannel weed. In extreme cases this will act as a silt trap.

The ideal is to selectively cut weed in the old-fashioned way - a bloke who knows what he is doing, in chest waders, with a scythe.

"Knowing what he is doing" implies cutting weed so as to maintain a good flow over gravel runs, leave weed where it provides shelter for fish, etc etc rather like a good gardener pruning his roses. Doing a proper job in this way is a rather expensive option - hence the blunderbuss approach of the juggernaut shown.

Frank Sawyer's "Keeper of the Stream" explains all this and other facets of weed growth in considerable detail. Worthwhile reading for anyone that fishes a clear weedy river.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks ray,here is the video i took on the kentish stour,the level was already low as much weed had died off naturally,then in mid september most of the remaining rananculus and streamer was removed ,thus dropping the level lower than ive ever seen and leaving the riverbed as bare gravel in many many parts

Whats with all this talk about a choked with weed river being good for salmon? I know lots of better salmon rivers with little if any weed in them and they probably have more otters.

That's a fair chunk of biomass from the base of the food pyramid floating away out to sea.

...and when that machine trundles over a gravel bar it can't do the bottom much good either.

However, against that you have to consider the consequences should weed cutting cease. The weeds eventually restrict flow, and the beds of ranunculus become choked with flannel weed. In extreme cases this will act as a silt trap.

The ideal is to selectively cut weed in the old-fashioned way - a bloke who knows what he is doing, in chest waders, with a scythe.

"Knowing what he is doing" implies cutting weed so as to maintain a good flow over gravel runs, leave weed where it provides shelter for fish, etc etc rather like a good gardener pruning his roses. Doing a proper job in this way is a rather expensive option - hence the blunderbuss approach of the juggernaut shown.

Frank Sawyer's "Keeper of the Stream" explains all this and other facets of weed growth in considerable detail. Worthwhile reading for anyone that fishes a clear weedy river.

At £54 I reckon a scythe isn't that expensive and even in the hands of an amateur it would stand a better chance of keeping the river monster away than a video camera. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Preparing for winter floods? I believe they have been doing it for most of my lifetime, on both rivers.

It's done to prevent floods ( in the surrounding farmland) in the summer and autumn rather than winter.

It doesn't get to the sea, they put a boom across the river and haul it out.

Fishing can be tricky while they're cutting, this is all cut weed floating down.

Weedavon.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The EA Hampshire Avon weed cutting was carried out to benefit the farmers in 'drying out' the natural Water Meadows in summer along the Avon Valley for commercial gain. At the time, they were being paid by the EU £300 a hectare (as compensation) to leave them wet/damp as Natural Water Meadows should be, and aid a recovery of the Avon Valley and its natural and migratory species. However, the EA seemingly helped them get both...their cake and then ate the cherry on top as well; this at the expense of destroying the river SSSI/SAC in preference to satisfying the farmers interests!

As one knows, adult Salmon do not supposedly feed in fresh water when on their way upstream to spawn; therefore the weed growth only provides cover and sanctuary from predators and salmon anglers!

Sorry, but some EA/NE consented salmon angling syndicates are hell bent on destroying and dredging the river habitat and vital sanctuary and Ranunculus weed growth and underwater obstructions to expose the Salmon to open areas and easy fishing where they are more easily spotted, stalked and caught. This is also 'ignorantly at the expense of destroying the coarse fish necessary habitat and other wildfowl, wildlife inhabitants environment, established macro invertebrate colonies etc., that do rely on the weed growth and the undisturbed gravels for survival.

However, any surviving hatched salmon parr, do feed in fresh water and so the sanctuary weed growth/cover and macro invertebrates etc. are essential to their continued survival before returning to the sea.

Hampshire Avon link

Kentish Stour link http://www.youtube.com/user/12cuthbert

Edited by RollingPinBoy