insect repellent

Guest Danny H

Guest Danny H

Summer is here, I am covered in bites from dusk session.

Has anybody got any recommendations for

spray/cream/stick etc, for those allnight sessions to keep the mossies away.

In Asia I use to use deet, but the stuff will probably make your baits a real turn off

all the best

The Avon "skin so soft" lotion is highly recommended. It wasn't designed for the purpose but does it well. I'd still go with a deet product for most of my body but the lotion is great on hands and arms. Probably good to wash the hands and arms with an unscented soap after putting the deet stuff on.

Something else I've found is that taking a fairly high doseage of B-vitamins keeps the insects mostly away. I read somewhere years ago that a particular one of the B Complex does the trick but never can remember which. I use it all summer - at least a couple days before a trip and daily until I'm back. These days that pretty well means all the time. I'm usually not bothered and the few bites I do get don't itch much - another side-effect of the B vitamins.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 13 June 2001).]

Guest Rob Ward

There's a spray you can get called jungle Formula, works a treat but smells awful.

Dont get it near your bait though!

Guest RobStubbs

I use jungle formula in the UK although I picked up a spray called off! in the US containing DEET and that works well. I'm pretty certain DEET is not available in the UK or if it is it's in much lower concntrations, so I'll save that for real nasty places.

Rob.

Guest Chris Plumb

I use Jungle Formula - it's available in a 'roll-on' so you can be accurate in it's application. It's also very good.

Chris

ps There was an excellent thread on this not long ago - worth checking the archives.

Guest pete falloon

Jungle formula certainly does the trick - I also had a very effective australian formulation with citronella in it which worked even better.

Autan is another good one and comes in roll on, spray on etc etc...