What do you think is the most skillful part of fishing?

Guest big tinca

Guest big tinca

Hello,

People who are 'non anglers' think fishing is just either patience or luck.

But we all know different don't we, so what do you think is the most skillful part of fishing?

Is it seting up rigs, watercraft etc,

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest matt_shaw

The skillful part of fishing is using the right method, and the right bait, at the right time. Simple as that biggrin.gif

Get that right and you will catch fish, lots of fish tongue.gif Give a rookie a rod/pole and watch him blank, or even catch a few - they won't have the knowledge you have.

I put it down to this: If your good at something, you enjoy it. If you can catch plenty of fish when you go out, be it summer, winter...whatever, then thats the skill.

Also when you try out baits and go after certain species, and catch them....thats skill. smile.gif

------------------

ECO Timber Panels, Barn Way, Lodge Farm Ind. Estate

The ECO - lodgical choice for wood

Tel. (01604) 759222 Find us at http://www.Yell.com/

Guest Bretty

The most skillfull part of fishing

Being able to think like a fish!! (That includes location)

Then I guess being able to achieve the presentation needed to outsmart them. *I'll add to that by any means within the rules!!* rolleyes.gif

Bretty

*Edit

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 13 June 2001).]

Guest Chris Shaw

Watercraft, IE: finding all the bars and hollows on the bottom etc.(Which I for one am rubbish at.)

Presentation can be a skill. (Rigs baits etc.) Wether they be for specimen fishing, pleasure fishing or match fishing.

*CASTING* to desired spot.

Trout fishing comes to mind here, dropping a fly on a trouts nose at 20yds etc.

Not in any particular order.

--------------------------------

*CASTING*

Not using boats etc.

-----------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 13 June 2001).]

Guest Bretty

Chris,

I am quite interested on why you put a lot of emphasis on casting? I can cast in excess of 150yds and can hit a marker float time and time again at 100yds. If only that meant i caught as many fish as the top anglers! It is a skill but by no means the most skillful part. Just because a bait is infront of a fish it doesn't mean it will take the hook!

Bretty

Guest big tinca

How the hell do you cast a marker float 100yrds?

Bretty=heman!

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest Bretty

13ft Beachcaster rod, 12lb Line, 50lb leader, 6oz lead. Hold you breath, shut your eyes and heave over your head, thump!

Heres a tip. Those 6oz beach leads with the gripwires are wicked for feeling the bottom and feature finding! and they break away if snagged.

Bretty heman biggrin.gif Lol

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 13 June 2001).]

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by Bretty:

Chris,

I am quite interested on why you put a lot of emphasis on casting? I can cast in excess of 150yds and can hit a marker float time and time again at 100yds. If only that meant i caught as many fish as the top anglers! It is a skill but by no means the most skillful part. Just because a bait is infront of a fish it doesn't mean it will take the hook!

Bretty

I think to be a success at angling requires a selection of skills, casting being one of them, but an important one in my book, because if you cannot do it in a skillfull way you are not going to get a bait anywhere near where you want, or need, or where the fish are.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

Guest shaca

In my opinion most adequately skilled anglers can cast well and present baits in a diligent and 'well-known to be successful' manner. However the top anglers have another weapon - time. I don't just mean time to be at the bankside with rigs out, but time to observe, time to accrue watercraft skills, time to think and make changes to the method to suit the conditions.

This applies to top matchmen and the finest specimen hunters. They apply the time spent into selecting the location, timing, bait and presentation of their hooks to the fish. Those of us who cannot spend as much time as we would like have to gleam the knowledge and experience from publications and forums like this one. This cuts down the time needed to find the fish and catch them.

But the top anglers still have the edge over these pert time anglers because they have the experience themselves. If a problem arises, they know how to solve it. Be it popping up a boilie rather than setting on the sand or a matchman stringing out the shot rather than bulk shotting to catch the fish higher in the water.

IT ALL ABOUT EXPERIENCE! smile.gif