Charge of the self rightous

Guest Danny H

Guest Danny H

Elton might want to move this thread, but in a way it is relevant here.

I troll the musky sites a lot, in the early days you could get first hand advice from world famous musky guides/lure builders.

Over the last year, more and more have fled the boards due to self righteous upstarts

preaching their methods only , and not listening to the very real experiences of the worlds best, getting abusive and personal.

Constructive argument is fair enough, but over zealous views are a real pain.

What happens over there always lands on our shores at some time ( a certain carp eating thread comes to mind)

Let's all try and keep an open mind!

[This message has been edited by Danny H (edited 14 June 2001).]

Sound advice Danny. Most of us post here and to similar boards because it is fun. At first it is usually a matter of asking for information but it soon becomes a pleasant way to pass time and, hopefully, to share hard-earned knowledge with others. I do the same sort of thing on a computer help bbs for the same reasons.

It doesn't take much abuse before the pass-time becomes less than fun.

Guest Peter Waller

It's certainly happened on one of the predator sites. One of the posters is always one step ahead of everyone else and has set himself up as an authority. Comments re this upstart on other similar sites shows that people don't take kindly to such postings. Certainly not the case on AN, thankfully.

Guest Elton

Danny,

We've been very fortunate on AN so far. Apart from the odd glitch, we haven't always followed the route that some other boards and newsgroups have followed. Quite often, a 'name' or a foreign poster cops flack for no other reason that being who they are, and that sucks.

I'm not into 'names' and take everyone as I find them. I'm lucky enough now to have met a few 'celebrities' and, on the whole, they're exactly the same as you and I. In fact, the really good ones amongst them read boards like this themselves and pick up tips. It'd be a real arrogant sod who thought that he had nothing more to learn!

We also get quite a few overseas visitors here and the amount of information we've had off them is unbelievable. Not all methods work over here, but people like Newt, Oat and the rest seem to enjoy seeing the reasons why. I think we fascinate them as much as they do us! smile.gif

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Oatmealjack

What are you talking about Elton, you are now a named carp angler, that guy that runs the AN site, ol' whats his name smile.gif

Oat

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Angling may be said to be so like mathematics that it can never be fully learnt!

God never did make a more calm, quiet, inoccent recreation than angling!

Both the above were written by an old angler named Izaak Walton (you may have heard of him) a very smart man i think you'll agree?

------------------

TROGG (Alan)