New to catfishing need help

Guest Matt Bell

Guest Matt Bell

Hi

I am trying to make the switch to cats from carp. I am fishing a water called ________ does anyone know the water? and any pointers on tackle to use types of. hooks,hooklengths,baits,rigs, ect.ect.

Or any good UK net sites for this.

Thanks anything will be gratefuly appreciated

Matt

confused.gif

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Matt

I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you been fishing long, and do you know much about fish in the UK?

Are there any Catfish in ________, if so what catches them?

Do you know aht catches catfish elsewhere?

Should you be asking basic questions regarding fish and fishing, rather than setting your stall out for catfish?

I do not intend this post to be insulting, rather it is intended to pose real world questions regarding your target fish.

regards

Nick

Guest Rob Ward

A large fishmeal boilie is supposed to be the best bait for Cats at ________.

They are very finicky with the rules there, expect to be made to wind in your baits and have your rigs checked.

Guest Rob Ward

From what I remember of the rules I think the following apply :

Minimum 25lb B/S braid hooklengths.

Barbless hooks only.

Minimum 15lb line.

Guest david platt

Hi Matt,

Welcome to Anglers Net, looks like you have picked your self a good one with your first

post,anyway hope you enjoy posting on here.

david

Guest Elton

Hi Matt,

Welcome aboard.

You could try:

http://www.silurus.co.uk/

There are also a few others listed at:

http://www.go-fishing.co.uk/

If it's any help, I've only ever caught one and that came on a Stour Valley Plum & Shellfish boilie and fought like the clappers!

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest kelvin wood

try a big bunch of lobworms popped up off the bottom!Or i saw some caught at shatterford on big carp nuggets GOOD LUCK cool.gif

------------------

carper

Guest big tinca

Try Blue soap..... it works for John Wilson!

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

Guest Matt Bell

Hi a few questions answered.

My name is Matt I live in Manchester (UK) I am 26 and have been fishing most of my life, I started off bit bashing like most other Anglers and have slowly progressed. I gave up fishing in my early teens for 5 or 6 years, started again when I was 19/20 bit bashing again and quickly moved into the Carp scene and have spent the last five years hunting Carp with moderate success on the waters I have been fishing.

I keep hearing the stories of Carp fishermen catching a cat or two and then not fishing for anything else but cat, don’t get me wrong this may happen but there is always the carp you have been after for the last two years and well we all want that big one don’t we.

The water I am fishing for the cats is called ________ in Cheshire there are definitely cats in there, don’t know how big but talking to the lads on the bank there may be a 40lb? The lads were from the catfish conservation group? So I don’t know how true this figure may be. (Don’t think one that big has ever been caught there though)

They were telling me to use worm (suspended) or (popped up), nuggets, or large fishmeal boilie, and cod fillets.

There are no live baits to be used.

Min 25lb b/s braid hook length.

Barbless hooks.

Free running rigs.

Questions.

If I was to suspend worms what is the best rig? I may sound a bit stupid with this one but I am being told if a cat feels any resistance it will eject the bait and I can only use running rigs. I will be using a three-rod setup on bite alarms so I don’t want the baits moving around it the current. Can anyone help with that one?

Is the best way of popping worms up injecting them with air?

How can I suspend a cod fillet (bubble float?) how can I stop it from drifting?

Is it worth fishing for cats in the day or should I do a bit of carping?

Do cats get spooked as easily as carp do?

Does anyone have any good recipes for fishmeal boilies and what size should I make them?

Sorry it has been so long and drawn out but hopefully I have given all you top members out there something to think about. Get racking your brains people.

Thanks

Matt