Types of fishing?

Guest trickydavies

Guest trickydavies

Just wondering how many of us do all sorts of fishing. I fish at sea, for trout, salmon etc and several course species. Are most people dedicated to one species?

Guest trent.barbeler

Tricky,

Not me mate.

I fish for barbel and barbel. Then on some occasions I fish for barbel. When I tire of them, I sometimes fish for barbel. Of course there is more to life than barbel fishing so I fish for barbel as well. I know there are those who limit their fishing to one species so its good to know that I can go barbel fishing as well so as not to get bogged down with one species.

Thank God that the new season is nearly upon us. At least now I can seriously think about going barbel fishing for a change.

Guest trickydavies

Ah I see, well I guess I'm a bit the same but have fished for everything really - mainly to "get the t shirt" but once I've caught lots of a species (takes about three years hard fishing to fill my desire) I move on and the latest craze hits me. Surely I can't be the only one. Unfortunately my latest desire is for Yellowfin Tuna and the closest I've got is a tin of John West - planning on a trip from San diego next year if the wife lets me - Oh.... I'm not going.

Trent Barbler, maybe you should try Barbel too, I hear they are good!

Regards

Tricky

My main requirement is that it swims, has fins, has gills, and will take a bait or lure, and lives where I fish.

Exceptions are that I don't target buffalo as they are just too hard to catch where I live. I also rarely sea fish. Just don't enjoy it as much as fresh water fishing.

Guest Nightwing

If it swims, eats and takes a bait or lure, and lives in the midwestern U.S., I have fished for it.

Currently into steelhead, salmon, carp heavily, but fish dozens of species at various times.

Guest Steve Burke

I'd get bored fishing for one species or using the same method all the time. For this reason I'm an allrounder, although I don't do much fly fishing these days..

At present I'm fishing for tench but plan to switch to carp and lure fishing for pike shortly. I also plan to do a bit of spinning for bass and mackeral (the latter for pike bait) plus some mullet fishing this summer.

In the winter it'll be pike and, especially, perch which are my first love. One of the things I like about perch fishing is the variety as perch can be caught on almost any method from almost any type of water.

In years gone by I used to do a lot of small river fishing, but having moved to East Kent the opportunities are very limited. The Kentish Stour is slowly recovering after repeated pollutions and so hopefully I can go after chub and roach again before too long. The Stour has also been stocked with small barbel, so who knows what the future holds!

Some of my fondest memories are of fishing tiny streams - so narrow you could jump across them in places. Such waters often contain surprisingly big fish, especially trout, chub and perch. Anyone else like this sort of fishing?

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Bretty

Depends on my mood.

I love beach fishing when i get the chance (about 2 or 3 times a year). Tho i mainly carp fish i do like targetting crucian/tench/bream/big roach with the feeder. And have been seen playing about with floats and maggots on several occassions. When winter really sets in sometimes i do a little piking.

Bretty

Jack of all trades master of none!!! wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 15 June 2001).]

Guest big tinca

Hi Tricky,

I fish for anything that swims in the ye old ocean smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com