Discrimination against junior anglers

Guest bart4real

Guest bart4real

Hello, I have been a match angler ever since the age of 12 and I started out by fishing senior matches as a junior. I thought at the time that this was the best way to learn, by fishing against better anglers. However, I have two sons who both enjoy fishing and the eldest has decided that he would like to fish matches. He is a member of the local angling club:- Cwmbran Angling Club so when I rang up the match secretary to get him a ticket I was told that he could not fish. I do feel sorry the match sec because he said that it was not up to him as he has sons in the same predicament. Its in the rules so that is that! I feel very annoyed that I have paid £11 for him to join the club only to find that he can fish junior but not senior matches. I have my own problems with this club as they seem to epitomise the petty rules which so many of these small time clubs enforce but I never thought that it would come to this. Its not as if he would be left unattended at any time. He is only 11 years of age but now feels demoralised because of their 'rules'. He has asked me could he get the money back but I do not think that he is able to. We live in South Wales so I am now looking into other clubs in the area but so far none of them have a problem with him fishing. So a word of warning to anyone who might be thinking of joining Cwmbran Angling Club, check to see what the rules are first. He won't be joining next year!

Guest Chris Shaw

I see what you are saying but if they have junior and senior matches then surely the people in the matches have to be juniors or seniors not mixed, if they are mixed for everybody are they then not open matches.

The answer:

It is easy, why do they not have open matches for all ages.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

Guest big tinca

Hi Bart,

Iam in a similar situation at this present part of time,

I want to start fishing matches myself but most of the clubs around me are run by pubs.

And you have to be 18 to join, as Iam 18 in october Iam going to join a club then.

But i will miss out on most of the summer matches.

This is a real pain and in someway stereotypes young anglers mad.gif

Lifes a fish then you marry one!

------------------

Happy Tenching.

Big Tinca.

bigtinca@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by big tinca (edited 15 June 2001).]

Guest Gray-Catchpole

bart4real

myself and darrell and my uncle john, are members of Cwmbran Angling Club, and i aggree they are stiplers for rules, and i feel sorry for your son.

both of us(myself and darrell) met paul ed at the canal there(who is not a member) a balife came along so paul asked for a day ticket, and was told "im sorry i dont have my book on me so you are not supposed to be fishing" paul was considering packing up i told him not to and another balife came along and sorted him out.

it is a good water though isnt it biggrin.gif

------------------

Email:

[This message has been edited by Gray-Catchpole (edited 15 June 2001).]

Guest RAY OWEN

Hi mate,

Sorry to here about ur son being unable to fish. I fish with Glamorgan Anglers,Porthcwal and on the Gowerton match circuit. We would have no problem with your son joining us on club matches infact when the Porthcwal team go out if a junior beats us then all the seniors in that match have to give him a FIVER (old bylaw dated back to the roman age) so if he is interested then let me know and i can give u more details

Ray

Guest darrell.cook

Bart,

You're right Cwmbran Angling could walk away with the "Jobsworth" title no problem.

The quality of the water is very good though and this is what draws me.

Of course they could just be worried that that he's a chip off the old block. wink.gif

BTW Did you notice the photos that Gray posted from Viaduct?Your old mate Chris Stainer was there.

Guest davidP

A lot of rules are on the books because they've been there for ever and nobody has ever bothered to get them repealed. So if your son is of an age whereby he will still be a junior next season then why not get along to a meeting and bring the subject up. It'll may be surprisingly easy to get it lifted - it just needs to get onto the agenda for the AGM!

In the meantime (whilst waiting for the AGM) it may well be that the committee will think it's within their power to suspend the rule. Some will, some won't (depends on the constitution) but you can only ask!

Personally I think if a junior is competant to fish for him or herself then they're ready to fish senior matches. The sooner they learn to fully be self-sufficient and not rely on adults the better - it's just a pity that some parents can't see that!