Ultimate camo

Ken L

I have to chuckle when I see fully camed up anglers in the winter - especially after a good snow fall or hard frost.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a good side to it though as where else could you get a pair of Goretex trousers and a jacket for £50 and unused. Got hold of some Dutch army gear and it is excellent.

That's one of the most annoying things about shopping for hunting / fishing clothing; fashion dictates that all the best suited gear in respect of waterproofing, hard wearing and comfort are nearly always camo'. Thankfully I found a great deal at Aldi of all places last week. A dark green 5000 m waterproof coat with detachable fleece liner, hood, storm cuffs and decent pockets for about thirty quid.

Renrag39; Airsoft? Paintball? Shooting people up the 'arris? Haven't you got any tasty animals to hunt down your way? :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Regards, Clive

Used to hunt but haven't been for years now. I haven't the need for it tbh NP. Not a great fan of Game food, not forgoing the taste, just the prep is a PITA. And I won't kill for the fun of it, only to eat.

Although I did once shoot a rather 'tasty' girl in the bum once, whether she was an animal or not, I never found out... damnit! :lol:

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

no need for camo hunting all camo does is hide people other things expect to see ,stand still in a flouro jacket and animals will come past ,i expect most animals are looking for people in camo and avoiding them :D

the camo you see is to avoid human eyes ;) or in that case a gimp suite for sexual pleasures :D

i call this the dark cellar camo suite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bondage_suit

i saw a bloke in full realtree in aldershot once stood out like a sore thumb :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Pix, im in the shooting industry mate, theres as much quality green, brown and olive coloured waterproof clothing than camo....and the camo stuff tends to be cheaper. The Jack Pyke stuff that most wear is some of the cheapest gear on the market, and its pretty good. If you want some decent, affordable gear have a look at Deer Hunter or Sherwood stuff.

Ive seen a fox run right up to a guy squeaking when he was dressed in realtree, only turned when the shooter cocked the rifle, and they were only stood against the hedge line. It is very effective, and only those who havent used it properly would say otherwise. Have a look at some of the videos on the Mossy Oak and Realtree sites, it works! And i do belive when im in the bushes at the side of the pond stalking a few fish, it does give me an advantage over being in one solid lump of colour. Were talking about outwitting fish here, not trained soldiers.

Edited by SpecimenSean

gone

Yes, but I've been sitting in the woods sans camo' and with a spaniel by my side and had foxes, deer, badgers, rabbits, squirrels and other timid species come right up to me. They only take fright when I or the dog move. I've sat in the middle of a ripened wheat field with a coat draped over my dog and seen pigeons fly in to the decoys from half a mile away only turning as I moved to put the gun up.

Disguising or altering the human 'bottle' outline is important as is masking the human 'white face'. It is these that many animals react to. If you sit, crouch or lay, keep still and make sure that your face is covered you could be wearing a Liberace outfit and animals and fish wouldn't take fright. Your mate might, but the carp wouldn't.

Some people believe that camo' makes them invisible. In many cases it actually make them more visible to animals as there are more tones moving than a solid colour that could be taken for a shadow or similar. Trained soldiers don't have the same sight senses as most animals. A dog will run past a yellow tennis ball on grass and only notice it when it scents it. Yet they will see and react to the slightest movement over a mile away.

Camo' is very much misunderstood.

Regards, Clive

I think noise/vibration is a much bigger fish scarer than sight. Being quiet and treading lightly will result in a lot more fish than what you wear.

Fish (unlike birds and mammals, which is what camo stuff was designed for) only rarely actually see humans, but they 'hear' us all the time. Being quiet is free, but it's surprising how few people really do all they can to actually do it.

Last weekend a friend told me a story about his carping days, when he was up a tree watching a group of carp beneath him. After a while he watched as they became agitated, and slowly and quietly swam out of the shallows and off into deep water. Several minutes later, a couple of other anglers walked down the path to the lake. It made no odds what they were wearing, the carp had heard them miles off and were long gone!

Last winter I was on the river, having baited up a few swims for chub. As I was fishing one swim, a guy came past me and settled into one of the pre-baited swims. The first thing he did was to get right to the water's edge, noisily flatten all the nettles so he get his chair in a comfortable position, and then start to fish. Despite him inadvertantly dropping into a swim that had been quietly and carefully baited up and rested, he didn't catch anything; the chub had spooked away as soon as he flattened the first nettle. Again, the water was nowhere near clear or shallow enough for the fish to see him.

There's no money to be made from silence ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Not just noises/vibrations from walking the bank.

I remember going fishing when I had a bad cold, I sneezed (pretty loudly), and the fish in the shallows, (about 20yds across the river), all jumped and swirled as if a predator was after them.

I tend to wear dark colours when fishing, just because it 'feels' better to me, and try to avoid sudden movements. It's surprising how close you can get to fish if you take a bit of care.

When you see the 'scarlet' Jan Porter, or the white capped Bob Nudd, it makes a mockery of the OTT use of camo'.

But, if it gives them confidence, and it's not just a case of 'following a trend', then, (although it makes me chuckle at times), good luck to them.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

All,

Fish may or may not respond to "lots" of stuff. In fact, I'm sure they do. I bet they can even pick up odors and fragarences(sp) settling on top of the water. Who Knows? - But -

When it comes to science I'm hopelessly committed. If I am good at only one thing it may be separating marketing poppycock from science. I am/was more of a marketer than scientist, that's for sure. Marketing is what often drives sales but… is the story accurate or is some slick marketer trying so separate me from my hard earned dollars.

As fishermen and conservationists, we fall prey to savvy marketing techniques and do not make an informed decision based on scientific principles as it relates to the art of concealment and physical deception. We (science) don’t have a clue what fish “see” out of water. Further, no studies available credit fish with the ability to reason that a man dancing about with 40 pounds of “crap” is a major predator.

A term one must understand to fully appreciate effective angler camouflage is fish vision – we don’t.

If there is such a thing as fishing camo it would in all likelyhood be broken wavy lines of very light baby blue colors. Colors would be for the angler, fish probably (?) don’t see color out of water. In fact, they probably don’t see chit when out of water. They can’t reason, if I ever get put back into the water I won’t do THAT again!

Instead, we buy field camo, that’s what is available.

I don’t have any, I like it, I think it’s cool, I wish I were a tart – alas, poor Phone. Wish I had some FIELD camo. Better yet, how about some creditor camo?

Phone

Yep, you are right Phone. A triumph of marketing over sense in more ways than one.

The Realtree adverts are carefully arranged so that the model wearing their gear is perfectly placed in front of foliage that matches their pattern. Take the same photo in a different season or in front of different vegetation and he would stand out like a sore thumb. What you need Phone is a full wardrobe of camo' taking into account seasons and foliage; you could have spring willow, autumn reeds, bare winter branches, winter blizzard and a fetching summer outfit.......

TatiCotliar-TMagazine01.jpg

Regards, Clive