Ultimate camo

Ken L

Ive seen a fox run right up to a guy squeaking when he was dressed in realtree,

That matey ran in to a fellow wearing camo isnt really conclusive of anything, I have squeaked in literally 100s of foxes for my pal to shoot, we worked as a team, taking on the fox control for a large part of the western lake district. I squeaked (and worked the dogs) and he used his rifle, despite being freah out of the army in those days (the 90s) neither of us frlt any need, nor did we wear anything 'camo', in fact such dress was pointedly not used as 'civvies' (especially landowners/ tenent farmers) get a bit edgy around people in it. I showed my children their first close up fox one evening at last light, by squeaking it in and we were all in jeans t shirt type stuff.

There is clearly money to be made in the mythology, and some really believe that disrupted pattern clothes fabric make them look less than a human shape to a fish, or anything else. Soldiers wear DPM clothing as a basis for full and proper cam, on it's own it is of limited use as ity does not break up the shape. As had been pointed out far more important aspects of fieldcraft are often ignored specifically noise, movement and in the case of fishin' vibrations.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emma two,

From the aspect of your experience what is the difference between camouflage and visual mimicry. Very little camo is camo - even in the military is it?

I was told today at coffee, (I know you guys are getting tired of coffee talk) when camo was first used to in WWII it was to identify "superioUr troops" to there comrades, bolstering the confidence of invincibility for both groups. (Use of psychological warfare - if you will).

Phone

Emma two,

WWII it was to identify "superioUr troops" to there comrades, bolstering the confidence of invincibility for both groups.Phone

Perhaps it still is? in angling, the 'superior troops' being those who wear it to show just how much better (they imagine) themelves to be by wearing it and having a whole range of items needlesly covered in it. There are psychological explainations, or at least theories, for everything we do, it being the study of human brhaviour, mine is that it falls somwhere between a misguided notion and a fashion statement, 'your in our gang if you wear it, and a noddy if you don't. '.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

......................................... As had been pointed out far more important aspects of fieldcraft are often ignored specifically noise, movement and in the case of fishin' vibrations.

That is because it is easier to put on camo than learn fieldcraft, and there isn't the same profit in selling fieldcraft as there is selling camo'.

Regards, Clive

All,

Vibrations, I used to think were of importance. Not so much anymore. I fish in an area with frequent earthquakes (small ones). The water will shimmer.

Sometimes it gives the fish lockjaw and sometimes it doesn't affect/effect fishing at all.

I guess that is a question. I have no explaination.

Phone

(There would be no fish at all in California if vibrations were equal to not feeding. The whole state is like a bowl of jello at a very low level.)

A few years ago when fishing one of my favourite lakes I saw someone with the full camo gear - clothes, hat, boots, bivvie, even down to camo bait tubs. And camo face-paint.

I nearly p!ssed myself laughing :lol:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Perhaps it still is? in angling, the 'superior troops' being those who wear it to show just how much better (they imagine) themelves to be by wearing it and having a whole range of items needlesly covered in it

you dont half chat some narrow minded bullshit you...

gone

I doubt many wear camo gear becuase they think it improves there chances of catching. It's just good out door gear in appropriate colours or patterns and for all those who knock it, the simple answer is dont wear it. I can never work out why some people are "anti camo" like it some how effects them that others choose to buy and wear it. It's like they need to put there pennies worth in because the angler who buys it is to stupid to make an informed choice and must have been duped in to buying it by the "Carp Machine"

Yeah some of it is fashion led, shocking as it may seem those that buy it like the look of it and so it's no different to buying any other item of clothing. to be honest if I look across a lake or some one comes down the path it does look better if they are in more appropriate colours whether they are muted shades of brown, green, black or camo or tweed. It looks a lot better then those wandering around in England tops or even worse "match gear" :yucky: but I forgot match anglers are talented and make the most of a swim and are great feeders...... blah blah blah but camo anglers (Carp Anglers) are noddies.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

you dont half chat some narrow minded bullshit you...

It's strange how differently people interpret a post Sean.

When I read Emmas post,

Perhaps it still is? in angling, the 'superior troops' being those who wear it to show just how much better (they imagine) themelves to be by wearing it and having a whole range of items needlesly covered in it. There are psychological explainations, or at least theories, for everything we do, it being the study of human brhaviour, mine is that it falls somwhere between a misguided notion and a fashion statement, 'your in our gang if you wear it, and a noddy if you don't. '.

I assumed she had her 'tongue in her cheek' when she wrote it.

You obviously saw it differently.

Maybe I'm naive, and try to look for the best in things.

Either way, one of us must be wrong.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John