Ultimate camo

Ken L

doesnt seem "tongue in cheek" at all to me. Just the ramblings (again...) of someone who belives they are far more intelligent than they are and just comes across as terribly offensive ALL the time. This forum has turned into a massive wind up. Every post ends up turning into stupid arguments. Signing offf.....sean

Edited by SpecimenSean

gone

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course there was/is an element of ‘tongue-in-cheekiness’ about this whole thread, it’s hardly a deep serious subject. I thought that we were having a grown up and yes perhaps mischievous discussion. However it looks like I have hit a nerve with the specimen. Perhaps it’s because he is in the business of this stuff and therefore takes it apparently very seriously that he has felt the need to swear and label me with a particular personality, it was a new one for me, I have been called lots of things, but never before (so far as I can remember) ‘narrow minded’.

Sean I am quite certain that you have no idea of the angle of my mind. That people have different views to you does not necessarily make then narrow minded. If you want to debate then you must bring some evidence to the table, not just ‘I think ‘A’ so I shall swear and name call anyone who thinks ‘B’..

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

...looks like I have hit a nerve...

It certainly looks that way. Seems that this thread could quickly go the way of many others recently where people feel unduly opressed or belittled because they happen to disagree. Swearing and name calling certainly doesnt seem to act in favour of those trying to defend their position however.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

This forum has turned into a massive wind up.

I have to agree, I'm finding myself posting less and less because I know what reaction I'm likely to get, and I know I'm not alone.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have to agree, I'm finding myself posting less and less because I know what reaction I'm likely to get, and I know I'm not alone.

It just seems to me that people have picked up grievances with one another that never get resolved and things end up going round and round and never getting sorted out. There are certain members who seem incredibly thin skinned and think that everyone is having a go at them and equally there are those that seem to like getting on a wind up. Unfortunately this forum seems to have a very lax policy in keeping these things in check and so a bad air descends over the forum and good members begin to wonder why they visit anymore. Most forums are self policing but it seems things are just hitting a rough patch on here at the moment. I have seen much worse forums though so dont think it is all bad.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

When I joined this forum, (around the same time as you Andrew), there was quite a bit of 'taking the mick'. It was mostly taken with good humour, and answered in a similar vein. That sense of humour has been lacking for some time, and some are quick to take offence, and throw a strop. I know from PMs I received at the time, that this 'serious about everything' attitude caused some to stop posting. Now it seems that 'taking the mick' (however gently), is causing people to think about not posting. It's all seems a bit odd to me.

If anyone is happy, confident and secure in whatever discipline of angling they prefer, then no amount of wind ups or micky taking, should have any negative effect on them. Only if they see some element of truth in what's said, and they have their own doubts, can it hurt them in any way.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If you're having a humourous dig, just use a smiley. Most will recognise that if they can't get it from the tone of the post :lol::D:)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Funny how all those who are not 'thin skinned' and are 'confident and secure in whatever discipline of angling they prefer' never seem to post much about fishing, but instead wind people up on purpose and derail fishing-related topics...

Depends what you want out of a forum I suppose. I can't remember the last really good fishing-related topic on here. Can you?

The jokey topics are fun and I enjoy them, but I for one would love to see some of the old-style interesting and buzzing fishing posts, but they've all but disappeared. The only topics that get any responses now are those that end up as arguments. I was going to keep a running topic of this autumn's perch fishing and do a report of a couple of day's zander fishing on Grafham, among other things, but I know what they would end up like, so I haven't bothered.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I was going to keep a running topic of this autumn's perch fishing and do a report of a couple of day's zander fishing on Grafham, among other things, but I know what they would end up like, so I haven't bothered.

That's a shame :( I for one would have been fascinated by the Grafton Water report. I find these huge waters a little daunting but planing to join a club next year that has fishing on Darwell Reservoir and can't work out whether I will have the time or enthusiasm to tackle a water 160 acres plus. Like John's Ocean Pit report, I enjoy reading about fishing that is so different to my own.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Funny how all those who are not 'thin skinned' and are 'confident and secure in whatever discipline of angling they prefer' never seem to post much about fishing, but instead wind people up on purpose and derail fishing-related topics...

I suppose I fit into the "not thin skinned", and "confident and secure" category Andrew, the rest is for others to decide. It's been well documented on here why I don't post about my rare fishing trips, the reason is that they are so rare, and I haven't had any sessions that I think interesting enough to post about. I can understand if someone new to angling wants to show a few small/medium roach and perch, it's all part of the excitement of learning. We were all like that in the beginning. But after 50yrs it's just another day, and being there is (personally) as important as what I might, or might not catch.

I do try to offer advice if I think I can, and try to share experiences I've had, but maybe that's not enough for some. Because of my lack of time on the bank, I have got more into the 'politics' of angling, it helps me to keep in touch with something that I can't be as actively involved in as I once was.

If we judge someone's worth to a forum, just on how often they fish, or how often they post about their catches, then we would have very few 'worthy' members on AN.

As long as I've been a member, topics have veered on and off the original subject, it can usually be steered back on track if enough people want it to be. The reason trouble starts is usually when someone objects to an opinion, and instead of offering an alternative view, they just 'spit the dummy out' and abuse the other person. This is a forum where things can be discussed in an adult manner, and to me that includes being able to accept a bit of ridicule, as well as dishing it out.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John