Light leads.................

Guest Chris Shaw

Guest Chris Shaw

This one comes up in my thoughts from time to time.

Running rigs for carp fishing, now we all know that possibly the ideal setup for a running rig is a heavy lead (2 plus ozs) and a large bore ring free running on the line.

My thoughts are this, if that is the ideal running rig because a lighter lead will move on a take spooking the fish into dropping the bait, why does the following happen.

Now I have read about carp anglers and seen close friends switch from the heavy leads to really light leads such as 1/2oz and under free running and their catch rates improve.

I have seen this light lead method out fish the heavier lead methods and freelining method.

Any thoughts on this??????

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 16 June 2001).]

Guest Gray-Catchpole

i always tend to use light leads, i also tend to use light line (where possible) if your hooklengh is long enough you should have no problem spooking fish, all the carp caght last week where caught using this method without problem.

8lb mainline

4lb middy carp barbless hair system

1/4 oz lead (where distance isnt to great) other wise 1/2, using quicke release sliders.

------------------

Email:

Guest Gaffer

Hi Chris, I think you've made a good point there.

My thoughts are that for a free running rig to work effectively it needs to be of 2.5 oz plus.

Since you last bought this subject up I have been trying running leads (I'm using 3.5 oz at the moment) and have been very suprised with my results as I've never liked using them.

My reason for not liking them was that IMO the have more con's than pro's, but I'm doing rather well on them at the moment, I'll keep you posted. wink.gif

Anyway, back to the point, with heavy leads (2.5oz+) and slack lines the only resistance is the bobbin/dangler/etc so the fish will just take the bait registering a run.

With a lead of between 0.5 and 2.5oz the lead will move producing resistance, which the carp will feeland being a direct pull against the carp this will allow the carp to 'back up' and eject the bait.

With a very light lead (less than 0.5oz) the lead will move and there will be very little resistance, but the resistance is only enough to keep the hook-link taught and confuse the carp.

What I mean is, I don't think there is enough resistance for the carp to realise what's going on, the carp may think that it's picked up the bait and some weed or something as the resistance won't be a direct pull against the carp. (does that make sense?!)

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest Chris Shaw

Gaffer

Yes, that makes alot of sense.

I also think running rigs over bolts work at the moment because of all the years of spook methods being used IE: Bolt rigs etc.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

Guest Steve Burke

I reckon you're spot on, Chris.

Big perch hate resistance and it's very important to use a heavy lead - my first choice is one of about 2ozs. This creates less resistance as the indicator moves rather than the lead. In my experience perch wise up to rigs much quicker than carp. Thankfully, thry don't have the carp's long memory, otherwise they'd be even more difficult.

The alternative is to use a very light lead, although this can result in poor bite detection depending on which way the fish moves. The worst idea is to try a medium-sized weight. This seems to give the worst of both worlds, whatever the species you're fishing for.

Having said all this, perhaps the best answer is to experiment as waters differ, especially as to the degree of fishing pressure they receive and the rigs the fish are used to.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm