Barbed V Barbless

Guest fudgey mc fadyen

Guest fudgey mc fadyen

I always use barbed hooks whilst piking, this is because the one and only time i used barbless i lost what would have been my 1st 20lb+ pike.I played it to the side, the fish thrashed and threw the hooks.I kept a s tight a line as possible, but it still came off. A few of my mates are now switching to barbless and im now thinking about giving them another try.Can anyone convince me out there to start using them again or will i be in for another heart breaker?

Guest Keith
Originally posted by fudgey mc fadyen:

Can anyone convince me out there to start using them again or will i be in for another heart breaker?

Wait until the first time you're attached to a pike by a barbed hook through your thumb! frown.gif

Seriously, you might have lost that fish even on barbed hooks - a headshaking big pike is generating a LOT of energy - but the whole "getting hooks out of the fish/net/digits/clothing" issue is relevant too. A snap off with barbed hooks means that the fish is far less likely to be able to rid itself of the hooks.

Put the lost fish down to experience, pat yourself on the back in the knowledge that at least you didn't harm the fish, and give barbless another go.

I've not used barbed hooks for pike in years and, although my record isn't much to write home about, I am confident that I've never lost a fish just because of barbless hooks.

Being rubbish, yes: barbless hooks, no!

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

Guest david platt

Hi Fudgey,

Dont give up on the barbless hooks mate, I only fish useing Barbless hooks for all types

of fishing but I must admit you do loose a few but, who!s to say I would not have lost them on barbed hooks,best of luck

david

Guest fisherman

Hi Fudgey, thanks for the tips on Loch Awe. I had ten Pike in a few days, all of them on barbless trebles. One I did catch still had someone elses barbed stainless treble attatched to his bottom lip, which I got rid of before releasing him to fight another day.

Dave

Guest Neil Foley

On this topic guys do you crush or file-off your barbs?

Thanks,

Neil.

------------------

Neil's Angling Site - Irish Shore and Freshwater Fishing

Guest Keith
Originally posted by Neil Foley:

On this topic guys do you crush or file-off your barbs?

Buy 'em barbless (well, "semi-barbed", because there's a barb on the baitholder hook), but I press the barb down a bit on that one too.

To be honest, I'm getting more and more into using a barbless single and hair-rigging the deadbait - even less likely to deep hook that way, I've found (I strike immediately anyway, but every little helps..)

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

Guest Peter Waller

Crush 'em. Done so for years now & land/ catch my share. If I loose a few, & I don't think I do, its more than made up for my the ease of unhooking. Most of my pike are unhooked in the water simply by rolling the hooks out with either cut down forceps or a Derrick Ammies disgorger, off they go, untouched by human hand.

Guest Dave. L

I crush all the barbs on my lure trebles and can honestly say that I don't lose any more pike than I used to with the barbs intact.

Pike come off now and again whether you use barbless or barbed.

Guest pikelines editor

Hi Fudgey,

Totally barbless hooks for pike a definate no-no for me. I always use crushed barb hooks filed down to a slight 'hump' to gain a hold. Pike have boney jaws that are thinly covered with flesh, barbless hooks often don't get a good 'hold' and will skid along the bone, tearing rents in the skin and flesh.

If you must use totally barbless, go for the thicker-wired variety and as with all pike hooks, keep them really sharp!

I only use trebles on lures, much prefer to use specimen doubles for baitfishing and big singles for livebaiting. I find them much easier/quicker to remove and they do less potential damage to the fish.

Off on a big snig hunt for 2 days as from tomorrow, have you done any yet?

Best,

------------------

Steve Ormrod