One for the Win7 wizards

I created a dual boot system as I have a few older programs which require Windows 7 32bit o/s.

I failed to make an Internet connection but it was not essential on the 32bit system, however I am now getting lots of MS reminders to register my Windows 7 software and telling me I have an illegal copy.

In device manager the realtek rtl 8102e/rtl 8103e family pci-e fast ethernet nic has a yellow astrid along side and despite deleting and reloading it is still giving a code 10 error. I have tried uploading the latest driver and it tells me I have the latest driver installed. I have visited the Win7 forum and no one seemed to have an answer, 167 views and no replies, I have checked my under arm and all is well so I put my isolation down to their lack of knowledge. :lol:

This is stopping me setting up a connection to my wired router which is working OK with my 64bit o/s.

Thanks for any advice.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

You have to register/activate any copy of windows 7 regardless or 32 or 64 bit system.

But you don't have to do it online. The activation wizard should allow you to phone the automated Microsoft system to activate your windows.

It's a great system because you can actually activate several pc's on the same code! Lol! Not that you should, for instance, have a laptop, and two desktops running a single code all happily activated..but if you should so desire the phone activation system is the way to do it B)

You don't need to have the Internet to do it....so just activate it that way for now.

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloads...p;GetDown=false

The link above is the realtek driver for the card you have specified. It "should" sort you out.

If you struggle to load it, right click the nic in device manager and choose uninstall driver...reboot and you should be able to then point the install to the new driver.

What did you multiple boot with? Win 7 32 and win 7 64? Or another os and win 7?

Edited by kirisute

You have to register/activate any copy of windows 7 regardless or 32 or 64 bit system.

But you don't have to do it online. The activation wizard should allow you to phone the automated Microsoft system to activate your windows.

It's a great system because you can actually activate several pc's on the same code! Lol! Not that you should, for instance, have a laptop, and two desktops running a single code all happily activated..but if you should so desire the phone activation system is the way to do it B)

You don't need to have the Internet to do it....so just activate it that way for now.

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloads...p;GetDown=false

The link above is the realtek driver for the card you have specified. It "should" sort you out.

If you struggle to load it, right click the nic in device manager and choose uninstall driver...reboot and you should be able to then point the install to the new driver.

What did you multiple boot with? Win 7 32 and win 7 64? Or another os and win 7?

Many thanks for your reply, I had down loaded that driver but had tried to install with up date, I will try the route you suggest.

I have Win7 home premium 32bit and Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Many thanks for your reply, I had down loaded that driver but had tried to install with up date, I will try the route you suggest.

sometimes the "update driver" system isnt as functional as it might be. its usually best to uninstall the drivers of a product, then re-install; making sure to select the option to choose your own driver location and then guiding the install from the location of the newer/proper drivers.

sometimes the "update driver" system isnt as functional as it might be. its usually best to uninstall the drivers of a product, then re-install; making sure to select the option to choose your own driver location and then guiding the install from the location of the newer/proper drivers.

I tried doing uninstall and reboot but it kept installing the wrong driver automatically, if you uninstall the driver and don't reboot it vanishes from device manager.

So after it reinstalled incorrectly I right clicked and chose update driver software from the first menu and was able to install the correct driver from there, don't ask me what the difference is or why I even tried that route but it worked.

32bit is now online and the win7 registered, left it on up date.

Your 100% right about update driver being very tarty. :D

Thanks again

eat.gif

Petals Florist

I tried doing uninstall and reboot but it kept installing the wrong driver automatically, if you uninstall the driver and don't reboot it vanishes from device manager.

So after it reinstalled incorrectly I right clicked and chose update driver software from the first menu and was able to install the correct driver from there, don't ask me what the difference is or why I even tried that route but it worked.

32bit is now online and the win7 registered, left it on up date.

Your 100% right about update driver being very tarty. :D

Thanks again

my pleasure!

glad its working for you.

software update in vista and win 7 is far more automatic than win xp ever was! you could essentially force a driver in Xp even iof it was for an utterly wrong piece of hardware etc..Vista and Win 7 wont allow that which is better in some cases but can cause issues in others.

• 1 month later...

S'cuse me for being thick (WHICH I AM!!) My copy of Windows 7 came with BOTH versions of the programme?? I run Win7 Ultimate, OK BUT I also got my self a Win7 Ultimate as well??? Mine is a French Copy of disk but wouldn't have thought it made any difference?? Would have thought you would get win7 32 bit and 64 Bit too?? In ANY set of O/S??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Chris i have win 7 home premium and it came as two discs 32 bit and 64 bit

cheers Fred

It came like that? One box 2 DVDs in the box? Was that a retail product? How much does that cost in Oz if you don't mind me asking?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It came like that? One box 2 DVDs in the box? Was that a retail product? How much does that cost in Oz if you don't mind me asking?

I've never seen one like that over here, either OEM or retail. OEM is definitely one DVD per case, either 32 or 64 bit.or you can buy the digital upgrade options that you pay 70 quid for the pleasure of a piece of paper with the serial number on! Most of those are for Professional versions etc though but can be useful for the windows anytime upgrade features.