Dropshotting 2

JV44

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would loved to have joined you guys this weekend but unfortunately I'm tied down. Just bought a drop shot rod too! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

N

Edited by Nicholas S

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Would loved to have joined you guys this weekend but unfortunately I'm tied down. Just bought a drop shot rod too! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

N

Nick how the devil are you?? Trevor`s influence re the dropshot rod?? Let us know when you are next down and we will see if we can get Dropshotin organised .

Viney glad you are feeling better .....don`t put your drink down fella and if you do leave it unatended then well leave it...

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I'm getting together some kit for drop shotting and thought of this site.

I have bought rod making supplies from them before. Service is first class and postage not to expensive for small items

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/powerbait-rip...had/570373.aspx

and these

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/soft-p...s-c-39_103.html

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Nick how the devil are you?? Trevor`s influence re the dropshot rod?? Let us know when you are next down and we will see if we can get Dropshotin organised .

Viney glad you are feeling better .....don`t put your drink down fella and if you do leave it unatended then well leave it...

Good thanks Steve! Yep Trevor is partly to blame but I've been following the thread on here and that also got me intrigued. I've just started a new job so I've moved back to Reading! Working for a Danish Energy company so at the moment I'm working in Copenhagen but back most weekends and will soon be working in London. Should make it easier to meet up for an overdue session though :) Plenty of fishing stories to report too, caught some fantastic Grayling recently B) What you up to on the weekend of 12/13th Nov?

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Good thanks Steve! Yep Trevor is partly to blame but I've been following the thread on here and that also got me intrigued. I've just started a new job so I've moved back to Reading! Working for a Danish Energy company so at the moment I'm working in Copenhagen but back most weekends and will soon be working in London. Should make it easier to meet up for an overdue session though :) Plenty of fishing stories to report too, caught some fantastic Grayling recently B) What you up to on the weekend of 12/13th Nov?

Nothing as of yet so that is a dropshotting adventure ,maybe get a few together for it Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Those were my thoughts John when I first tried it. Initially I fished at very short range as I believe is the ‘proper’ way but then just out of interest I cast a bit further and retrieved with some success. Moving on from that I tried leaving the lure in one place at distance and found that a few new factors came into play, the most obvious being the amount of water at the far bank and how far away it is.

Trigonometry was never my favoured maths subject but even I could figure out that casting to 3 foot of water 20 yards away would probably see the lure dangling on the bottom without much room to work it. You can offset this to a degree by increasing the distance between the weight and the lure so the latter has some water beneath it, then you can work the lure by raising and lowering the rod gently so the lure drops and rises (it helps to use a heavier weight under these circumstances). The lures themselves are very wobbly and it doesn’t take much to impart some sort of movement.

Alternatively if the venue/depth doesn’t allow effecting drop shotting then I’d simply substitute a lobworm for the lure and use the same method. With a lob it’s not so critical to be able to work it but setup will still help get the bait to the right spot and feel for the bites, this proved a devastating method on the Thames boat trip.

I’m planning to try all the above on a club stretch of the K&A canal shortly. It’s a very long stretch so I’ll be mobile and all I’ll take is the drop shot rod, some lures and loads of lobs.

Thanks Rusty (and Anderoo). I suspect the stretch you are going to try, Rusty, will be the one I was wondering about! I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Re Andrew's point about neutral buoyancy, I was thinking of giving it a try with what I've got - ordinary size 6 hooks and some cheap plastic worm things I bought a few years ago in a pack. They are almost neutral buoyancy, but of course sink like a stone when you add a hook - but I guess I could add some rig-foam.

Would they be OK, or are the special dropshotting lures pretty essential?

john clarke

Thanks Rusty (and Anderoo). I suspect the stretch you are going to try, Rusty, will be the one I was wondering about! I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

Re Andrew's point about neutral buoyancy, I was thinking of giving it a try with what I've got - ordinary size 6 hooks and some cheap plastic worm things I bought a few years ago in a pack. They are almost neutral buoyancy, but of course sink like a stone when you add a hook - but I guess I could add some rig-foam.

Would they be OK, or are the special dropshotting lures pretty essential?

Don't see any harm in trying that John. I've only used the lures recommended to me by the shop where I bought a starter kit from but I don't think they're essential and you can get different types, see pic.

IMG_5169.jpg

It works well mounted sideways with the eye pointing up, in the margins its easy to see how it moves and often other small fish will come to investigate. I think they need to be floppy and wobbly to work well so if your worms are give them a try. Steve did try a rubber lure with a lump on the tail (shad?) but in the water the action wasn't very good so not all lures will be suitable.

Correct about the stretch, because it's so long I've not previously put the legwork in but drop shotting is a good way to search out swims, even then it might take a couple of trips. I'll be cheating with lobs initially.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

One narrowboat, weight approximately 15 tons, cost about £30k :D

Try feeding an area with chopped worm mixed in some fishy groundbait, I mix mine with some Squid and Oyster sauce ( Available fro your local Oriental supermarket) then Fis at the edge of the feed area where the Big ones often lurk, Works for me.. :D

Darn it I have visitors from France coming over this weekend otherwise I would have made the trip along to the Thames.

I can reinforce Budgie's and Sportsman's endorsement of AGM Most of my dropshot lure have come from there; that is until my US cousin brought me over a couple of Dropshot sets from Basspro and they are excellent.

Finally I have just bought the Savage Gear Dropshot Rod to go along with my Mitchell Mag Pro outfit, I will let you know my comments once it turns up.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.