Dropshotting 2

JV44

I can see how it works if you are in a boat, though perhaps not very different from jigging. And I can see how it works where there is a flow, as the lure will keep up in the water due to the current - so you could, for example, keep a lure with action against some far bank reeds.

But what about still water, fished from the bank? Say you were fishing the far bank of a canal? Wouldn't the lure just hang downwards? I can see you could give a little bit of action if the leader to the weight was much longer than the one to the hook, but it seems surprising it would be very effective in that instance? Or does it work differently in practice?

The little drop-shot minnows are neutral bouyancy, so they tend to hover horizontally rather than hang down. And as the rubber/plastic (whatever it is!) they're made from is so soft, it takes very little movement with the rod to impart very lifelike movements - either quivering, dropping and raising, or more aggressive jerking actions. It's amazing how much action you can put into the lure with very little movement.

The main difference between jigging and drop-shotting is that one has the weight attached to the nose of the lure (jigging) and the other has the weight attached to the end of the line, with the lure effectively weightless (drop-shotting). So you are able to do different things with them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what about still water, fished from the bank? Say you were fishing the far bank of a canal? Wouldn't the lure just hang downwards? I can see you could give a little bit of action if the leader to the weight was much longer than the one to the hook, but it seems surprising it would be very effective in that instance? Or does it work differently in practice?

Those were my thoughts John when I first tried it. Initially I fished at very short range as I believe is the ‘proper’ way but then just out of interest I cast a bit further and retrieved with some success. Moving on from that I tried leaving the lure in one place at distance and found that a few new factors came into play, the most obvious being the amount of water at the far bank and how far away it is.

Trigonometry was never my favoured maths subject but even I could figure out that casting to 3 foot of water 20 yards away would probably see the lure dangling on the bottom without much room to work it. You can offset this to a degree by increasing the distance between the weight and the lure so the latter has some water beneath it, then you can work the lure by raising and lowering the rod gently so the lure drops and rises (it helps to use a heavier weight under these circumstances). The lures themselves are very wobbly and it doesn’t take much to impart some sort of movement.

Alternatively if the venue/depth doesn’t allow effecting drop shotting then I’d simply substitute a lobworm for the lure and use the same method. With a lob it’s not so critical to be able to work it but setup will still help get the bait to the right spot and feel for the bites, this proved a devastating method on the Thames boat trip.

I’m planning to try all the above on a club stretch of the K&A canal shortly. It’s a very long stretch so I’ll be mobile and all I’ll take is the drop shot rod, some lures and loads of lobs.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

JV, what's the deal at Goring, cheap day ticket on the bank? I'm still unsure what I'll be able to do on Sat, but I'd like to meet up with everyone if possible.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

JV, what's the deal at Goring, cheap day ticket on the bank? I'm still unsure what I'll be able to do on Sat, but I'd like to meet up with everyone if possible.

Anderoo /Steve walker it`s day ticket on the bank over a big area downstream but the boat mooring bit is best and the locky seems to have stopped movin fisherfolk off due to less boat traffic so that will be our first port of call ,Best parking bit is either in manor road and follow footpath tp river or end of Ferry lane walk over grass area to river boat mooring stretch just upstream of above have a look on google earth and you will see what i mean .

Anderoo if you can`t make it let me know as soon as poss then if Steve is game we could take the portabote out hunting preds

Abingdon also big free area so whichever you guys prefer

Off to Manchester later to pick my new waterbourne fishing platform :) ...Kid before Christmas face :bounce:

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

You're getting a new boat?

Not quite Steve i am more than happy with the Porta bote but i am selling my sit Kayak and buying a Sit on top Fishing Kayak for impromptu fishing sehs`s on the river and Possible bass hunting with the fly rod .

Going to pick up this baby latter today

http://anglersafloat.proboards.com/index.c...mp;thread=18372

easier to keep on the roof and use from the narrow boat is the theory .

You up for Saturday?? Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Anderoo /Steve walker it`s day ticket on the bank over a big area downstream but the boat mooring bit is best and the locky seems to have stopped movin fisherfolk off due to less boat traffic so that will be our first port of call ,Best parking bit is either in manor road and follow footpath tp river or end of Ferry lane walk over grass area to river boat mooring stretch just upstream of above have a look on google earth and you will see what i mean .

Anderoo if you can`t make it let me know as soon as poss then if Steve is game we could take the portabote out hunting preds

Abingdon also big free area so whichever you guys prefer

Off to Manchester later to pick my new waterbourne fishing platform :) ...Kid before Christmas face :bounce:

Will do Steve, and thanks for the info. I'm about 50/50 at the moment so if it's easier, assume I won't be there and sort out the boat plans with Steve W and then if I do make it, I'll let you know and catch up with you on the day. I have another thing that may or may not come off, I'm not sure yet which way it'll go.

Looks like fun - I think I like the stability of your portabote though!

Yep, definitely on for Saturday!

Steve if we assume that Anderoo may not make it then if you want to meet at the slipway at pangbourne Saturday morning we can troll lures up to the Goring stretch and then try dropshot/livebaiting for big Perch and if Anderoo does make it we can see him at Goring .

Steve if we assume that Anderoo may not make it then if you want to meet at the slipway at pangbourne Saturday morning we can troll lures up to the Goring stretch and then try dropshot/livebaiting for big Perch and if Anderoo does make it we can see him at Goring .

Sounds like a plan!