Dropshotting 2

JV44

Sportsman after looking at the catalogue this one appears to suit byour needs 24373-802 Zexxer S80ML - .

met up with Rusty today and he won the dropshot compition after i shot into a 4/0 lead but waqs dissqualified when later found to be using lobworms on the hook and c atching te winning fish as i hit a run on the livebait rod ,great fun also caught loads trotting and Rusty had a rudd a feat which i equaled adfter he went...top day Steve.

Well I had to do something, 4-0 after 10 minutes was a bit worrying so I needed to cheat before Steve did. 9-9 and Steve gets a run on the livebait rod and has to stop drop shotting. I substitute the lure for a juicy lob and hey presto the winning perch falls to me :D

His livebait had tempted this 2lb 12oz perch but winning the drop shot competition carries far more prestige. :fishing::1a:

IMG_5296.jpg

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right - this weekend I WILL catch a perch on the drop-shot!

And I did :)

It was hard work yesterday, very bright and warm with clear water, but I managed to scratch out two small perch, one on the drop-shot and the other on a little jig. A friend who was with me also had one on the jig. A really nice sociable day despite the lack of frantic action, but I'm very happy to break my perch drop-shotting duck. The trick seems to be be to make a subtle method as unsubtle as possible :D

PS well done again chaps on some more cracking perch, you're really filling your boots at the moment, great stuff!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Androo,

You've confused me (maybe?) On one had you caught a fish on "the drop shot". On the other hand you caught one on "a little jig".

I thought "drop shot" was a style or method of fishing defining the rig and the bait may be defined later in the sentence? (I.E. "I was drop shot fishing using a little jig for bait").

Phone

Budgie,

Yep

A "jig" could have been the bait of choice on the "drop shot" as well. Drop shotting is kinda popular over here for semi-static predator fishing. Those hooks are not in every tackle shop however. Frankly, I've never seen a pre-made jig with a drop shot hook. Do you have them??

I'd say, right off hand, using a "bottom bouncer" is a close cousin to drop shotting as well. I'm really surprised you don't use bottom bouncers more. A spinner and bouncer combination is one of the most versatile weapons in an walleye (zander) angler’s arsenal (bottom bouncers are probably used 90% by walleye (zander) fishermen - 10% other species). The thing they do best is keep a bait in the “zone”, which is that area close to the bottom. Like a drop shot rig I suppose, bottom bouncers are almost snag proof when used properly.

The main difference may be that a bottom bouncer wouldn't often be used with a float. Do you float fish with a drop shot? Not that it couldn't - it's just not a custom I've seen.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Lure fishing has only relatively recently been started to be used for Zeds here in the UK (despite the Europeans having been at it for some time) but I think "bottom bouncing" will follow soon.Appears to be better for Walleye/Zeds than pike though. Also better suited for use from a boat and we are still very much bank anglers here in the UK in general.

BTW,not seen or know of anyone who does use a float with a drop shot rig.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE, Androo,

Androo talks about the weight (lead). How heavy is a lunker city - bakudan weight (say - in ozs)? Neither term is familiar to me.

BUDGIE, a bottom bouncer can be used like a "jigging device" (you know - up and down) in a very slow retreive. The name is kind of a misnomer as it really doesn't "bounce" along the bottom. Quite the opposite actually. You don't want it to lay down on the bottom so the line must have at least a little tension at all times. It mostly keeps your lure at a safe distance off the bottom yet close enough to the bottom to encourage fish in the "zone".

When walleye (zander) fishing the weight (lead) is often painted the color of the spinner (often two or more colors) and/or lure. More than once I've had a good bite, missed the fish, only to have teeth marks on the lead.

Phone

All this talk of drop shotting has inspired me to purchase a drop shotting kit. Hopefully have a go on a small river with it this weekend. I meant to get it all sorted ages ago but have only just got round to it. Quite looking forward to trying it out. Any advice for a newbie will be gratefully received.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

All this talk of drop shotting has inspired me to purchase a drop shotting kit. Hopefully have a go on a small river with it this weekend. I meant to get it all sorted ages ago but have only just got round to it. Quite looking forward to trying it out. Any advice for a newbie will be gratefully received.

ATS there are a few of us newbie`s at dropshotting on here and i can only comment on mine and the Rustmiesters experience ,We have found find some prey fish topping pref with a clean gravelly bottom to the river and cast out and slowly retrieve/stop it retrieve again you will soon be able to tell the difference between the lead bumping bottom and the hits and nips ,Rusty does cheat and use lobworms sometimes the bounder .

Others may have found the staitionary give it a jiggle occaisionally is best ,You could also try little grubs/shads with jig heads bumped slowly across the bottom/varriede speed retrieves ,I think Anderoo has had some success at the later ,not tried that myself yet .

Good luck whatever method and post up the piccys Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: