Dropshotting 2

JV44

I think its to easy to get a bit blinded into thinking drop shotting is just for working a lure in one place. On the recommendation of a German mate Ive tried quite a few different "drop shotting" techniques now. The most successful one she recommended was to actually very slowly retrieve the rig whilst still working the lure with the rod tip held high. more of a "bottom bouncing" method maybe but I found this more productive when the Perch were actively hunting and chasing rather than just ambushing.

I get what you mean budgie. I was very much undecided as to how I should work the lure as it was my first time but as the water temp has slowed down I opted to cast in, work the lure in the position it fell in and then retrieve by a foot and repeat. I got a few nips as I mentioned and two follows and of course the perch that I caught which for about an hour and a half to 2 hours work with a new method was quite pleasing for me.

I do think that the rod I am using is too short from the bank. It is only a 6 foot spinning rod and I found it difficult to put vertical movement into the lure when it was on the opposite bank of the canal without moving it closer to myself. It was pretty frustrating. That was the reason for my comment regarding weight of the lead. It was very likely a combination of a rod that is too short and a too light lead at 10g.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its to easy to get a bit blinded into thinking drop shotting is just for working a lure in one place. On the recommendation of a German mate Ive tried quite a few different "drop shotting" techniques now. The most successful one she recommended was to actually very slowly retrieve the rig whilst still working the lure with the rod tip held high. more of a "bottom bouncing" method maybe but I found this more productive when the Perch were actively hunting and chasing rather than just ambushing.

True Budgie, but I've found that when the perch are in that mood, a little jig is more effective.

On rod length, I think the shortest you can get away with, the better. Simply because you're holding it and working it all day and longer rods are more tiring. I thought the shorter rods would be a real problem from the bank, but actually I wouldn't want to go longer than 7.5ft now.

Steve, I got the middle length Fox rage rod.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

DAM Calyber here too. Both JV44 and I use the 14-28gm version, it works well and handled a near double figure pike easily enough but I've nothing to compare it with.

The only difference between JV44's rod and mine is that his one hasn't caught a 3lb perch yet...he was using mine when he caught the best fish of our boating weekend :D

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

DAM Calyber here too. Both JV44 and I use the 14-28gm version, it works well and handled a near double figure pike easily enough but I've nothing to compare it with.

The only difference between JV44's rod and mine is that his one hasn't caught a 3lb perch yet...he was using mine when he caught the best fish of our boating weekend :D

Yes it was caught on your rod and that made it all the more sweet after a couple of days of listening to 2lb 8 oz 2lb 8oz 2lb 8oz B) , The Dam is a mighty fine rod as i am sure is the Fox version Steve so if we could all hook up for a sesh at some point you could actually try both back to back to see which you think would suit you best :idea: .

Available this Saturday as it happens anyone else in??......

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Ah, that's the one I was looking at. And you like it?

Yes, I do. Although I have little to compare it to, apart from some older (discontinued) Luc Coppens Fox rods, which are also very nice. I thought the cut-away handle was rather gimmicky but actually it works very well. It looks rather blingy (especially with a silver reel and yellow braid!) but you can't have everything...and I secretly like it ;)

Very delicate at the tip, plenty of backbone (had several decent accidental pike on it) and comfortable to hold. I haven't had a zander on it yet, that's the next thing! I kept meaning to at the reserviors but kept bottling it in favour of the jigs.

You're very welcome to come and have a go - just let me know.

JV a weekend meet-up sounds good if I'm free, I might be at Grafham or Rutland after the zander but I'm not sure yet, will keep you posted. The other thing is, if the rain later in the week actually gets the river flowing, I might be struck down with the first dose of the dreaded chub fever... although it's still too warm for that yet really.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hmm, don't think I have anything planned... :g:

Steve, if I'm free you're welcome to borrow my drop-shotting stuff or a jigging outfit for the day.

Steve, if I'm free you're welcome to borrow my drop-shotting stuff or a jigging outfit for the day.

I was thinking that if a few people were going along, I might just take my own spinning gear for the day and cadge a few goes of the dropshotting kit... :D

I was thinking that if a few people were going along, I might just take my own spinning gear for the day and cadge a few goes of the dropshotting kit... :D

Looks like I may be at Grafham on Sunday and free on Sat, so looks like it might be a goer!