Dropshotting 2

JV44

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right then venue the only dilema ,What about the Thames at Abingdon lots of bankspace and fairly central for us if it`s Steve Walker/Anderoo/Rusty if he see`s this /Me/Viney?? anyone else any idea`s venue wise?? Anyone else wanna come ?? There is also a fairly large day ticket bit at Goring?? or anywhere on the thames that may suit Kennet very low but doable with guest tickets Steve .

Ps if the above is acceptable i could take the portabote along so we could have a bit of boat and bank fishing??Just a thought Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Right then venue the only dilema ,What about the Thames at Abingdon lots of bankspace and fairly central for us if it`s Steve Walker/Anderoo/Rusty if he see`s this /Me/Viney?? anyone else any idea`s venue wise?? Anyone else wanna come ?? There is also a fairly large day ticket bit at Goring?? or anywhere on the thames that may suit Kennet very low but doable with guest tickets Steve .

Ps if the above is acceptable i could take the portabote along so we could have a bit of boat and bank fishing??Just a thought Steve.

Either sounds good Steve, nice one. I will have to confirm nearer the time though I'm afraid, as I know I'll be fishing Sunday I may have a load of jobs dumped on me Saturday...I'll manage the situation as best I can and keep you posted!

We should finally have some rain on Thursday, so old father Thames might start flowing again soon.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Either sounds good Steve, nice one. I will have to confirm nearer the time though I'm afraid, as I know I'll be fishing Sunday I may have a load of jobs dumped on me Saturday...I'll manage the situation as best I can and keep you posted!

We should finally have some rain on Thursday, so old father Thames might start flowing again soon.

No worries Anderoo keep me posted ,When we came back through Whitchurch Lock on sunday the locky who has been resident there since 1983 said it was the first time he has been able to see the bottom of his lock when empty due to low water levels downstream of it combined with the tap water clear conditions so yep rain is needed and lots of it .

Anyone else interested ?? Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I was resisting to go and have another look at this thread after your comments, about being a Troll etc, that my friend is below the belt, it is true I don't 'toe the line' on all things on here, but to be fair it can get a bit tiresome with the same old same old...anyway I don't like this method, for me it has no merits regarding the finer skills in Angling, I may be wrong, I often am, but I care about our sport and this method leaves me cold, and seems a bit too crude for such a delicate fish such as a Perch.

See, I don't subscribe to catching at all cost, and I suppose if this method was adopted in Match Fishing it may well be deemed unsporting...

Hope that is not too destructive, but merely thought inducing.

I apologise for that I was just a little annoyed. I understand what you mean TM. However with the majority of lure fishing most people use a high breaking strain of braid. In the most part the braid is used simply because it is by the far the best way of transmitting nips and tugs up the line to the rod and also it is far thinner than its monofilament counter part. 25lb mono is like rope compared to the equivalent braid. With mono you simply don't get the same indications at all and will often miss many small nips that serve as indicators that you are in the same area as the fish. In standard lure fishing it is also used to avoid losing costly lures to trees and snags etc. When you are dragging two trebles near the bottom of the canal for instance it is very easy for them to catch on something. Better to bend the hook than lose the lure altogether.

Aswell as all that you also need to consider the chance of hooking into a pike which is entirely possible and so heavier line is essential in my view in order to try and avoid leaving hooks in fish wherever possible.

I am all about the finesse styles of fishing loving nothing more than trotting a stickfloat on light lines and also using light lines on a very fine tip but there are different considerations to look at when lure fishing. It may seem slightly crude in the eyes of a finesse angler however in my eyes it has far more finesse than tossing a spinner in and winching it up and down the canal. A bit more thought has to go into it.

I am relatively new to dropshotting so I cant speak of it too much at the moment but I certainly find it a much better concept than standard lure fishing and will be doing a lot of it next year I think.

I will be hanging up the lure rod soon in order to target chub and dace on the stick float. I might do a bit of dead baiting for pike over winter but won't concentrate too much on the perch until early spring.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I was resisting to go and have another look at this thread after your comments, about being a Troll etc, that my friend is below the belt, it is true I don't 'toe the line' on all things on here, but to be fair it can get a bit tiresome with the same old same old...anyway I don't like this method, for me it has no merits regarding the finer skills in Angling, I may be wrong, I often am, but I care about our sport and this method leaves me cold, and seems a bit too crude for such a delicate fish such as a Perch.

See, I don't subscribe to catching at all cost, and I suppose if this method was adopted in Match Fishing it may well be deemed unsporting...

Hope that is not too destructive, but merely thought inducing.

TM, sorry but all this simply goes to show that you have no experience of it. Lacking in skill, crude, catching at all costs, unsporting... put drop-shotting side by side with float fishing a lob, and I can tell you that if you had to ascribe these comments to one or the other, it wouldn't be drop-shotting. I like it when people challenge my beliefs or teach me something new, but dismissing something without even trying it is bad form and needs to be challenged back.

I'd be wary of comparing anything to match fishing if you want to make a point about being sporting. Hoiking out hundreds of pounds of half-starved carp from a little pond and sticking them in a keepnet is not exactly a noble art.

I would say the most effective way to catch perch is to float-fish a worm. Lure fishing for them is more difficult, requires more skill, and in the case of drop-shotting is much more subtle and delicate. Similar to trout, if you want to catch one, you'd trot maggots; if you want more of a challenge and to master new skills, you fish with a fly.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

TM, sorry but all this simply goes to show that you have no experience of it. Lacking in skill, crude, catching at all costs, unsporting... put drop-shotting side by side with float fishing a lob, and I can tell you that if you had to ascribe these comments to one or the other, it wouldn't be drop-shotting. I like it when people challenge my beliefs or teach me something new, but dismissing something without even trying it is bad form and needs to be challenged back.

I'd be wary of comparing anything to match fishing if you want to make a point about being sporting. Hoiking out hundreds of pounds of half-starved carp from a little pond and sticking them in a keepnet is not exactly a noble art.

I would say the most effective way to catch perch is to float-fish a worm. Lure fishing for them is more difficult, requires more skill, and in the case of drop-shotting is much more subtle and delicate. Similar to trout, if you want to catch one, you'd trot maggots; if you want more of a challenge and to master new skills, you fish with a fly.

You could argue that Perch are so easy to catch on Lobworm that they invented dropshotting to give more of a challenge :rolleyes: in the same way that trooot are so suicidal on baits that fly fishing came along...

Peeps who can`t be arsed to try something new normaly slag it off....easier than trying it as a method or understanding it :) .

Steve walker any preferences on venue? Rusty you up for this?? Viney got your text hope you are feeling better...wanna come?? Steve.

Rusty you up for this??

Not sure yet Steve, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms so had planned to don my waders and get in the Kennet somewhere.

As regards venue I would’ve thought that Goring would be a good bet provided there isn’t a match on. We know decent perch are there and the method suits the venue well.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back