The Depth

Craig Robins

I recently went to a big lake in a country park which had BIG carp, Pike, Perch and rudd i nearly blanked out as all i caught was a Perch weighing in at 3/4 lb! The problem i think was the depth but anyway at lest i didnt blank out. Then i went to my local pond which touch wood i have caught at least one roach or Carp each time but this was freelining corn or breadflake or using a very mismatched waggler setup which hardly caught anything. I would like to know what depth people fish for Carp/Roach or tench at as was either fishing just on the bottom or very shallow hoping for surface bites. Advice much appreciated.

Thanks Craig

Craig

I'm going to sound like some master of cliches her, but like everything in fishing, it depends. It's far from an exact science, and it pays to experiment. Judge by the reception you get when you fire in loosefeed. If the swim erupts there won't be much point nailing the bait to the bottom.

Hope this helps

Steve

all of them ,if you dont catch at one depth try another , try 1/2 an hour at each depth ,if the pond is six feet deep try fishing at 1ft "steps" usually though carp and tench are bottom feeders but usually can be caught at any depth :) roach feed at any depth rudd in the surface layers , remember this is a rule of thumb if your fishing in 2ft of water it matters little what depth you fish the fish can spot the bait anywhere .

bait is also important i tried breadflake for tench and had nothing but picked one up at exactly the same place and depth on caster , if fishing had set rules most of the fun would be gone :D

[ 25. June 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks both of you! :) Im going to fish a lake on saturday so il try all depths until i hit the right one it is about 4-5ft deep but 8ft in the very middle where all the BIG carp seem to hang around (20lb+)!! but i only have 10lb line so im fishing in the 4ft water for Carp up to 15lb and thench which average at 6lb. Thanks for the help.