At wot age did you first pick up a rod?

chris mc

I think i was about 12 when me and my brother went to a local gravelpit called the sandole in Wakefield.

We went to swim and saw a shoal of perch in the gin clear water and something happened to me that day.

Money was tight cos my dad was an idle git who never worked so me and my brother did some odd jobs for folk and swapped some toy cars e.t.c and managed to scrape together some tackle including a 10ft fibreglass rod.

We went back to the sandole and cought many a perch and that was the beggining of our fishing adventures together.

Alas my brother is dead now and at a tragic young age of 34.

I still cherish the memories of our fishing together.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooked at age 7 !

(53 years ago)

I remember it like yesterday

Carefully threading the catgut through the eyes of the bamboo cane rod, being shown how to plumb the depth with a porcupine quill float, its colours harmonising with the burnt marks on the bamboo, throwing some Spratts silvercloud into the swim, attaching gentles to the hook, then the porcupine first bobbing then sliding under.

The wonderful colours on the flank of a gudgeon, the stripes on the side of a perch, the red of a roach's fins.

Seven fish in the net, enough to see me through the next few blanks!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

My non fishing Dad was given some old tackle by a workmate and passed it on to me and my two brothers.

I got the "billiard cue" sea rod, but I am the only one who still fishes.

Not quite as long ago as Vagabond but I was 10 years old, so that would make it 1947.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

7 I remember it too - greedy perch...looked like a monster in my hand...must have been all of 6 ounces...

had a break when I was misled by women, beer and nightclubs etc.... :mad:

can't keep me away again now :D

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

7 for me aswell, it was in 1968 and the venue was a pond in the Army barracks in Dortmund, Germany where my Dad was stationed. My first fish was a lovely little Mirror Carp of about 8ozs.

Paul

First Rod was a 'winfield' from woollies handed down by one of my bro's, I'd have been about 5/6.

Prior to that I would catch bull heads etc by hand in the stream at the bottom of the garden.

Mum has a piccy of me about 4'ish? stood looking at a rainbow trout in a bowl, my dad and a chum would catch these in the stream and chuck e'm in a bowl until they had enough for a feed - aparantly I was mesmerised then! and always 'wanted a go'.

Continued 'coarse fishing for trout' up to my teens when 'other interests' took over.

Came 'back to the fold' in my mid twenties when I took up 'fluff chucking', was about 30 before I realy took an interest in coarse angling.

Tog

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.