How long until we run out of petrol

davedave

I'd say more of an "if" than a "when", for the reasons we both mentioned - I see alternative energy sources taking over before the last reserves are exploited, and there will come a point where further exploitation for petrochemical feedstock is more expensive than alternative means of synthesising hydrocarbons. I think we'll stop relying on it before it actually runs out.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'll stop relying on it before it actually runs out.
I hope you are right. Petrol from tar sands has a much bigger cost in carbon than normal crude oil.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

All,

This subject in the head scratching level is tough.

I belive there will be a revolutionary and rare change that will be somewhat profound. Leon suggests a more evolutionary and incremental outcome. Elton was pointing out evolution in efficiency of the basic product as well.

I think there will be a profound discovery - I liken it to the mass communications era of wire vs wireless. I tend to call wireless revolutionary.

We will, for a long time to come, have a place to use available oil reserves. I'm setting here surrounded by enough carbon products to run my car for a week.

Phone

(what would you call a Bic pen?)

This is what worries me, if 20 years ago a full tank cost a tenner, now it costs roughly seven times that, how long until its over a hundred? :unsure:

When I passed my test in 1993 petrol was 49.9p per litre to 53.9p per litre depending on where you prchased it.

Now, in some areas local to me it is 139.9p per litre with the planned increase in January 2012 of another 4p per litre.

I feel that we are all being priced off the roads, the only people on the roads in the future will be the elite of society.

We are being forced into cramped over priced public transport.

I feel the £100 tank will be a reality within less than 18 months.

i never thought i would see how you could manage to get a fivers worth of petrol in a gerry can never mind £7 quids worth in a gallon one ,its only expensive because the government taxes it so much its not a rare commodity ,i read somewhere we have almost the cheapest in europe before tax and VAT!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I feel the £100 tank will be a reality within less than 18 months.

If I filled the tank on my Volvo I bet I wouldn't get much change from £100 NOW!

The future is not electric vehicles. Batteries are just not an adequately dense store of energy and never will be. The future is liquid hydrogen, produced by electricity from nuclear power stations. Knowing the tories those will be French nuclear power stations, because to build our own would require a huge amount of public spending. I don't think even Cameron would be stupid enough to hand that job to private enterprise!

It is possible to generate electricity from the car's stored hydrogen using a fuel cell and then drive electric motors, but since it drives internal combustion engines perfectly well and that's what we all like, then that is the way things will go, even though it probably isn't as efficient (electric motors don't run when you are stuck in a traffic jam).

Interesting

do you think they'd modify our current cars or would we all have to buy new ones? :g:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

If I filled the tank on my Volvo I bet I wouldn't get much change from £100 NOW!

The future is not electric vehicles. Batteries are just not an adequately dense store of energy and never will be. The future is liquid hydrogen, produced by electricity from nuclear power stations. Knowing the tories those will be French nuclear power stations, because to build our own would require a huge amount of public spending. I don't think even Cameron would be stupid enough to hand that job to private enterprise!

It is possible to generate electricity from the car's stored hydrogen using a fuel cell and then drive electric motors, but since it drives internal combustion engines perfectly well and that's what we all like, then that is the way things will go, even though it probably isn't as efficient (electric motors don't run when you are stuck in a traffic jam).

I agree that there will need to be new nuclear power stations built, but I think that they will be built in the UK by EDF/GDF. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The bottom line here davedave is that you will almost certainly have something you can afford to drive for as long as you are able to drive.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President