Wet knot breaking strength: your satisfactory percentage?

Wet knot breaking strength: your satisfactory percentage?

In readiness for the new season, I've been doing some wet knot breaking strength tests à la mode de Den The Poledark and although I know there have been previous threads on this topic, I never really got a handle on what percentage of the original, wet, unknotted Breaking Strength of your mainline or hooklength (be it mainline to hooklength, swivel, lure etc., or hooklength to hook, spade or eyed), you regard as acceptable for your wet knot Breaking Strength, which of course is the only meaningful measure of true ultimate strength of your line while you're fishing?

So, would you accept 80%? And what knot do you use to achieve this?

Do you realistically ever hope to achieve 100% i.e. the wet strength of your line being totally unaffected by your knot?

DG :confused:

P.S. BTW, please post Don't knows and/or Don't cares elsewhere, please :rolleyes:

[ 05. June 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Remind us what the Poledark method is for measuring please so we'll then be able to do some meaningful tests and come to some conclusions.

Paul

quote:

Originally posted by Paul_D:

Remind us what the Poledark method is for measuring please so we'll then be able to do some meaningful tests and come to some conclusions.

I try to dig-out the photo, but it's simplicity itself, involving a cross-bar, a calibrated spring-balance or load-cell, a bucket, and water.

How do you normally check your line & knots, then, Paul?

DG

[ 05. June 2004, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I check my knots by giving them a hard pull. A 30lb pike cant pull harder than me. If it holds, it's fine. I'm not so anal that I have to check all my line with a spring balance and 300 different knots to make sure it,ll work.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

quote:

How do you normally check your line & knots, then, Paul?
I pretty much know if I've tied a knot correctly by instinct I suppose. If it feels right and looks right it's right enough in my book. One thing you did mention in an earlier thread caught my attention though, that about saliva having some of the best natural coatants. You then went on to mention line lubes; these are something I've not bothered with in the past but I might give them a go this year.

I bought myself one of those little Stonfo loop tying gadgets to do tiny loops for my hair rigs. A tremendous little tool, well impressed with it.

Paul

quote:

I pretty much know if I've tied a knot correctly by instinct I suppose. If it feels right and looks right it's right enough in my book.

Yup, but I was really wondering just how strong you expect your knot(s) to be as a percentage of the original line's strength

After-all, there's no point is choosing,say, a 10 lb BS line for whatever good reason(s), if its wet knot BS is only 50 - 60% i.e. 5 - 6 lb

quote:

One thing you did mention in an earlier thread caught my attention though, that about saliva having some of the best natural coatants. You then went on to mention line lubes; these are something I've not bothered with in the past but I might give them a go this year.

Jim Gibbinson also emphasises this in one of his articles.

Apprarently, too, lubing the knot very well before pulling tight, is most important for fluorocarbon lines

Branded line-lubes are good but tend to be expensive. In using cheaper DIY alternatives, the main thing to watch-out for is that the lube doesn't contain any solvents that might weaken the line. I've been using water-based polish emulsions and even baby-oil.

quote:

I bought myself one of those little Stonfo loop tying gadgets to do tiny loops for my hair rigs. A tremendous little tool, well impressed with it.

Yup, I use a similar bit of kit, out of the Missus's sewing box I think it's a needle-threading wire loop.

DG

[ 06. June 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]