Question for Peter about lure making

Jeff S

Hiya Peter, A while back you posted a thread about lure making. In it you described a lathe that works with a drill. Can you tell me where you found it? Carving the bodies of the lures is fun but time consuming. I need more time to fish!!! Any advice on how to keep the araldite going on smoothly?

Cheers

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

quote:

Originally posted by Dvarcet:

Any advice on how to keep the Araldite going on smoothly?

No doubt PW will be along later when he gets out of bed :D Meantime, I use the normal Araldite and not the Rapid sort. I also warm the Araldite first. This helps it go on smoothly and reduces the curing time too

DG

DG, I've used the regular araldite as well. I don't really like to rush when the stuff cures quickly. Will have to warm it up a bit first. I've only just started carving the bodies, sealing and then painting so the style seems a bit rough at the moment. Applying the araldite with a stick doesn't seem to help matters. There is a lot of sanding afterwards. :D The sad thing is I haven't managed to catch anything yet with the top water plugs.

Cheers for the lathe link Scott. It will definetly simplify matters.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Nothing much to add, it's nearly all been said!!!!!!!! Actually I churn out more plugs with a fretsaw rather than a lathe.

That £30.00 lathe looks the bizzzzzzz. Can't remember the make of mine but it was only a tenner. Woodcraft springs to mind. I have no complaints whatsoever about it's quality or durability.

There are two good ways to smooth off Araldite. One is with a wet finger and the other is with a fairly soft wet paintbrush.

[ 02. July 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Thanks Peter, I'll have to give all methods a try.

Being from the US.... A spanner is to wrench as a fretsaw is to..... ??? :D:D

I think I have one. :D

Happy fishing

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

quote:

Originally posted by Dvarcet:

[QB

Being from the US.... A spanner is to wrench as a fretsaw is to..... [/QB]

This http://www.cardstone.com/minicraft/mb490.html

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Dvarcet:

Thanks Peter, I'll have to give all methods a try.

Being from the US.... A spanner is to wrench as a fretsaw is to..... ??? :D:D

I think I have one. :D

Happy fishing

And I thought you guys spoke English! Still, we'll take it as a compliment that English is your second language . By the way, what is a fretsaw over there? Scrole saw?

Scroll Saw for the table/stationary one similar to your picture.

A hand-held electric variation is a jig saw.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My first mistake after walking into a lumber yard here was to ask if they carried two by fours. After that first blank look I thought I would look around. Interestingly enough you can't buy them here. Only in millimeters. :D:D

The cider is a bit different as well. In the states you can drink it all day long. Here you don't see the bottom of the third glass. Stumpy Jack.. My favorite. :P

All these saws and lathes. Now if I can only sweet talk the wifey into them...

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...