Strange, unexpected captures?

Guest mpbdsnu

Guest Chris Shaw

When I was alot younger I was fishing the river Mole just before it enters the Thames.

My rod then was a three piece float rod, bottom two sections being cane with a fibre glass tip.

I was fishing the river using a quill float a nice shiney gold size 16 hook and being of that age where you had to have a maggot of every colour that you had on the hook, in this case it was a white and a pink.

I had reeled in, laid the rod on the ground leaving the float and baited hook just laying right upto the bank. I went to one of my mates for a chat. On my return I picked up the rod, went to lift the float from the water only to find that the hook had snagged on something, lifting the rod it felt like I had caught a plastic bag, then it came into site, a huge pike, well I was young and it did look big, it must have been into double figures from what I recall. The hook was firmly in the top lip, I could see it, it let me lift it right to the surface then all hell broke loose, the reel was spinning, I was shouting, the pike was screaming off down river. I never did find out how much it weighed, it got away.

Not strange but certainly unexpected.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Danny H

I caught a bat last year, while slinging out a buzzbait.

The bats often fly near these while preparing to cast, the wind spins the vane and they must think they have found the Mossie from hell.

Reeled in thinking what the hell is on here.

Anyway the bat fell off, looked up , and flew off un hurt- ahh thank god for barbless hooks

• 6 years later...

i was fishing a trout lake with a wet fly when i got in a big mess up. as i was sorting it out the fly was just resting in the margin of the lake. when i sorted the tangle and lifted the rod up there was a small carp attached to the fly! :D

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

2 large Terapins[spelling] from the Thames at Child Beale park on lobworm whilst perch fishing

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I was fishing a weir pool on the Great Ouse for chub in 1963 (I think) and I caught a barbel. Not a big one, but they weren't supposed to be there. I caught a number more after that.

I remember Vagabond catching a push bike in the North Met pit and riding it along the bank. It squeaked a bit but it got him to where he wanted to hide it! :D

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

a paradise fish whilst surface fishing maggots, someone must hae released the bugger into the pond, about 6cm long, didnt like being caught, thought it was a tiny carp at first

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Anyone had any strange captures whilst fishing for something else? smile.gif

I recently caught a small Jack Pike on a popped-up Monster pursuit boilie! biggrin.gif

[i caught a pole float wich was attached to a hook which was attached to a perch????