Can carbon be recycled?

Guest FishinMad2001

Guest FishinMad2001

With all the poles on the market and the vast amount sold to tackle shops, to be sold in turn to avid anglers, surely some are not sold? Tackle shop owners will not keep them forever because of better more up-to-date poles, and surely they will sell them back to the company so they can find some use for them (i.e recycling them?)? Anyone any thoughts on this?

------------------

Tight Lines,

Tyrone, http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/

Guest paul mc

dont think so co i live near harrison rods and they throw all their rejects in a skip.Not sure where the skip goes tho.

regards paul mc

Guest Bruno Broughton

I think you will find that they are knocked out at public 'bargains galore' angling shows or, eventually, sent for landfill. Recycled carbon? That would be the main ingredient in Shreddies. Err... allegedly.

biggrin.gif

------------------

Bruno

Guest Keith
Originally posted by FishinMad2001:

COME ON GUYS/GALS!

Someone must have an idea!

The only carbon fibre recycling I've ever been responsible for, has been to use bits of pole to make new spigots for the "extra" joints, when I converted a 3 piece match rod into a 6 piece "travel" rod.

Didn't work either too well either - the carbon was too thin and the thinnest spigot bust! (I ended up using the bottom 4 inches of a glass donkey top. Thicker section carbon might've been OK...)

Aside from that, I suspect that waste carbon will just be burnt - it's in the nature of the manufacturing process that you can't revert or separate the raw materials and start again. (Try separating mixed and set Araldite back into resin and hardener, for an idea of the challenge involved!)

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 19 June 2001).]

Since all you would get if you recycled graphite is carbon - which is not expensive nor hard to get - I suspect it isn't cost-effective at all and so isn't done.

Guest Keith
Originally posted by Newt:

Since all you would get if you recycled graphite is carbon - which is not expensive nor hard to get - I suspect it isn't cost-effective at all and so isn't done.

True, true...

and as I meant to suggest, there's almost as much epoxy resin in a rod as there is carbon (well, quite a lot, anyway smile.gif ), so the recovery of the carbon would be a nightmare even if it was worthwhile.

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited 19 June 2001).]