Using your flexible friend in a tackle shop!?!

Guest Gaffer

Guest Gaffer

Twice now in two different tackle shops I've been asked to buy more stuff to get over the £10 mark or they won't use my card.

Why is this?

And why have I only experienced this in tackle shops?

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest Elton

Gaffer,

It happens in other places....honest!

It's all down to the charges imposed by the credit card companies for processing the transaction.

It's like me with AN and cheques - I'd love to sell small stuff like badges and things, but I get charged for every cheque, which bumps up the price.

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest dave k

because they have to pay to take a payment on your card gaffer frown.gif

My local takle shop charge 40p per transaction if you spend less than £10.

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

Guest Gaffer

Well that's not very fair!! frown.gif (go on , say life's not fair! biggrin.gif )

So how do shops do mail order then on small items?...it must cripple them!?

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest paul mc

i went fishing last summer after about an hour i noticed i had'nt brought a drink so i went to the garage to get a bottle of water. Not having any cash i tried to buy 5 bottles (just to bump the price up cos i was paying by card)i was told that the minimum purchase by card was a tenner so i had to buy £10 worth of water and windscreen cleaner eek.gif

Guest Keith
Originally posted by Gaffer:

So how do shops do mail order then on small items?...it must cripple them!?

Probably on the assumption that - usually - you'll buy more than £10 worth, to make the postage worthwhile!

Joking apart, when I've bought "bits and pieces" online, I've felt honour bound to spend more than £10.

I feel like a skinflint otherwise! smile.gif

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

Guest Elton

I run a mail order business in 'real life', and most people are like Keith. Although you'll always get the odd one who'll buy something tiny on a credit card, most spend over 20 quid.

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Bretty

You wanna see my local newsagents/off license (the one thats been held up at gun point 4times this year). It's in a student district which means every one spends about a pound and use their card smile.gif There's always a big que at the tills. Students!! rolleyes.gif They do charge 50p for cash back tho

Bretty

Guest Rob Ward

I've just been charged seven pounds by Liverpool Football Club for paying for my £400 season ticket by Visa.

Which I thought was very ****ing cheeky!

Guest RobStubbs

The odd thing is that some shops charge extra whilst others don't. It is also only a charge applied to credit cards yet those of us that use debit type cards still get hit at times. I think in part it is to offset charges but it can also be abused to add a little extra money to the bill.

Rob.