Using your flexible friend in a tackle shop!?!

Guest Gaffer

Guest Xpat Stu

Ah ha ..... a question in my area at last smile.gif

It's all about margins really. I work for an 11 Billion Dollar, multi national retailer and we have no lower limit. We can afford to take the hit on a low transaction credit card purchace as not pi*@ing off the punter is more important than the small loss.

The small retailers, working mainly with low margins, just can't afford to do this and may even end up losing money on the purchace. To many of these (and we all know the trouble the tackle trade are having ATM) and you business can soon go down the pan.

In simple terms, for each transaction the card issuer and/or merchant service will charge a fee of X%. If that fee is higher than your margin you are in essence paying people to take your goods away.

Sorry about the little lecture but I hope this helps explain things a bit.

Have a good one

Stu

Guest Elton

My merchant account at work operates like this:

Credit cards attract a percentage of sale charge.

Debit cards attract a fixed charge per transaction. To think that they don't "because the money comes straight from your account" is wrong, unfortunately frown.gif

As with most business things, the bigger you are, the smaller the percentage charges. Smaller businesses get hit for a higher charge - really helpful, eh? frown.gif Mind you, this country likes to penalise business - why else do we have to pay extra for making phone calls between the hours of 9am and 5am? If the Government got to grips on things like that, we might actually be a global contender.

A man can dream....

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest euan pink

i was looking for a replacement car the other day and was surprised none of the places took credit cards!!??

a *****rd as the rates are cheaper than a loan!!! cool.gif

Guest Elton
Originally posted by euan pink:

i was looking for a replacement car the other day and was surprised none of the places took credit cards!!??

a *****rd as the rates are cheaper than a loan!!! cool.gif

Euan,

It has been suggested that many second hand car dealerships make more from the finance than they do from the cars themselves mad.gif

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Keith
Originally posted by Elton:

I run a mail order business in 'real life', and most people are like Keith.

Take it from me:

that's a scary thought!! smile.gif

Guest sevinpies7

Greedy *********,

A tackle dealer i used to use did the same to me,so when i asked for a discount for cash,he didn't want to know.

Always insist on a receipt for any purchase,even if the item is a pound.They don't like giving receipts as it's harder for them to nick some cash out of the business.

And when did you last see a tackle dealer smile unless he's taking money off you.Add miserable to greedy and you have todays typical tackle dealer.

[This message has been edited by sevinpies7 (edited 20 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 20 June 2001).]