cheap v expensive

Guest scoobs11

Guest martin@tryangling

I agree with our American buddy, you get what you pay for, this particularly applies to reels.

Some of the more expensive rods, however, have inflated prices and identical rods can be found without the brand name for much reduced prices.

Buying tackle can be a real minefield for the newcommer to our sport, I blame the tackle industry as a whole.

Guest scoobs11
Originally posted by RONAN:

There`s a saying here in the U.S.>

"You get what you paid for"

RONAN

but not always

------------------

if you can't be good

be careful

Guest StuMac

My experience is that you can save a lot of money by if you can use tacke designed for sea fishing.

A good example - you can get a 7 ft carbon fiber road designed for light inshore boat fishing for cod, pollack etc for £35 - 40.

I recently used one when float trolling for pike. Initially I was a bit sceptical but found it superb. Seven foot was a nice length on a samll boat and the fight with pike caught this way seems to happen within 10 - 15 feet of the boat, so I didn't miss the length.

Not sure what test curve was (sea anglers don't seem to bother to much with that) but it was a '12 lb class' rod and an 11 lb pike put a good bend in it and it certainly didn't feel too heavy, especialy fishing a water with the potential for 20s.

Can you imagine how much a the same rod would cost if it was marketed as a 'float tolling rod' and had an endorsement from a well known pike angler?

Guest pikelines editor

Another favourite saying to add...

"A fool and his money are soon parted!"

Be careful out there...

Best,

------------------

Steve Ormrod