Baits that are differant??

Guest tony jolley

Guest tony jolley

hi steve

I`ve tried sand eels before not much success but that could be down to water choice,

I`ve tried slugs for eels no runs,

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by tony jolley:

Thanks Steve

I`m getting a bit "desperate" so I am going to try them tomorrow night,

Any tips as to amount to put out /feed down with?

Sorry, only just seen this having logged off just before your post.

This is very much down to the stock density and the conditions. However, I'd definitely throw in any whitebait you don't use at the end of the session.

The blast frozen packs are best as the whitebait aren't then in one block so you can use as many as you need. If you defrost a whole block the whitebait tends to be too soft. With the blast frozen ones you can use one wqhitebait at a time. I use a size 8 or 10 hook and put it in one eye and out throughjt the head.

Phone, whitebait are the fry of sprats and herrings, which are small sea fish similar to sardines. Typically whitebait are 2 to 3 inches long.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest dishyfishy

i've used milk in liquidized bread as feed when fishing punch for roach or in a feeder for far bank chub but can't seem to master keeping it on the hook

Guest paul mc
Originally posted by Chris Shaw:

How about even trying to catch an eel on wool with no hook, tie a mess of wool onto the end of the hooklink, cover/soak in smelly dead fish or a nice stinky fish oil.

Hi Chris dont mean to be picky but didnt you say you where against the use of oil saturation in baits or is it alright as long as you are specimen fishing.double standards mate.http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/cgi-bina/ubb/ubbcount.cgi?expath1=Forum1&expath2=&topic=003849&type=&number=1&page=1

regards paul mc

that was supposed to be a link from gray catchpoles thread yoo hoo im back

[This message has been edited by paul mc (edited 22 June 2001).]

Guest tony jolley

Hi all!

I could`nt get hold of the whitebait in time for the planned trip,

I had 1 run on Lob worm and meal worm combination which I missed (typical!!!)

called on to the local river which as been said to have been one of the most polluted rivers in europe but is a lot cleaner now,

7.30 am till 9.00 am

I had 2 eels 1.5 lb ish and a jack pike

Phil had 2 eels (same size ) and 3 perch half to three quaters of a pound,

I think the river as come a long way since the days of oil and foam floating down it,

and its good to know the eels have found their way up stream,

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest Chris B

How about trying sea deads for eels..? I'm no eel angler but I've frequently had them pick up even quite large mackeral tails, or strip them right down to the bones when I've been piking round the Fens.

Since eels come from the sea in the first place how about trying lugs, peelers etc in freshwater - they all give out quite a scent and eels must feed on things like this on their way up estuaries.

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by paul mc:
Originally posted by Chris Shaw:

How about even trying to catch an eel on wool with no hook, tie a mess of wool onto the end of the hooklink, cover/soak in smelly dead fish or a nice stinky fish oil.

Hi Chris dont mean to be picky but didnt you say you where against the use of oil saturation in baits or is it alright as long as you are specimen fishing.double standards mate.http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/cgi-bina/ubb/ubbcount.cgi?expath1=Forum1&expath2=&topic=003849&type=&number=1&page=1

regards paul mc

that was supposed to be a link from gray catchpoles thread yoo hoo im back

[This message has been edited by paul mc (edited 22 June 2001).][/QU

I have never fished in this way and never will, I was mentioning another way to catch eels, beside's no wool free offerings are thrown out and the eel does not ingest in the artificial bait.

Beside's somewhere I have read recently on this forum. Bruno has answered the oil saturation question. So providing any bait's being sold are in within the levels quoted by Bruno there should be no problem.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 26 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 26 June 2001).]

Guest tony jolley

Chris B,

I have read a few articles by eel anglers about sea baits ( fish and crab) one article when`t so far as to say that eels will take sea baits as a preferance from around october and also change to day time feeding and then change back to night feeding,

My own theory on this is that the salt content in sea baits become more attractive to eels as the water temp drops off, only theory of course!. and may only be relevant to big eels.

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley