A US Idea for the UK?

Guest Newt

Guest DerwentBob

A couple of questions - what is chow (I assume you don't mean the chinese noodles) and what are grits (here again I assume you don't mean small bits of rock off the car-park). I assume that this is pretty much how many Carp matches are run in this country but as I've only ever sneaked past one to get to another water I don't know for sure.

Guest Peter Waller
Originally posted by DerwentBob:

A couple of questions - what is chow (I assume you don't mean the chinese noodles) and what are grits (here again I assume you don't mean small bits of rock off the car-park). I assume that this is pretty much how many Carp matches are run in this country but as I've only ever sneaked past one to get to another water I don't know for sure.

Mr Derwent, do you never watch U.S. TV programmes? Grits is roughage and chow is food. Good term that, Paylake, sounds better than carp puddle!

Guest RONAN

Chow= Refers to trout chow or feed

Grits= Refers to a type of "porridge" made of both coarse & finely ground corn.

RONAN

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by RONAN:

RONAN

Had grits once and it tasted like porridge that had been dripped on the beach by the waiter and put back on the plate. YUK

alan(nl)

Guest DerwentBob

That would probably be the stuff we referred to as "Cream of Barf Soup" that was always present in the breakfast buffet when I was last in Florida then. I got the impression that it was an old persons thing - like eating allbran with prunes in the UK.

Guest Oatmealjack

A difference between a "carp puddle" here in the USA and on in the UK is that you guys pay just to fish the puddle where our fellows contribute to a pot of winnings to be had for the biggest fish, the good fishers get their fishing for free and walk home with a profit.

Oat

Alan Taylor and DerwentBob - you have it correct about grits - sort of. In some parts of the US, folks do eat quite a bit of the stuff but most places they won't touch it.

Fish are a different story though. Grits (field corn/maise, soak in lye solution until the skin is gone and it swells up much like pop corn but solid. Then dry it and grind it up fairly fine) is often a component of a "pack bait" which is sort of a "method" method without the feeder. You simply pack the mix around your hook/hair/weight. The proportion of grits will determine how quickly or slowly it disolves. Many of the pay lakers use a piece or 2 of sugar-coated, puffed wheat cereal on the hook or hair to hold the pack bait on and to be the actual bait when the pack bait disolves. Soak the puffed wheat for several days in sugar water to toughen it up.

Guest davidP
Originally posted by Oatmealjack:

A difference between a "carp puddle" here in the USA and on in the UK is that you guys pay just to fish the puddle where our fellows contribute to a pot of winnings to be had for the biggest fish, the good fishers get their fishing for free and walk home with a profit.

Oat

A lot of these waters have matches on them practically every day of the week. The money goes to the heaviest bag of fish though, not the heaviest individual fish.