John Wilson, how could you?

Guest Peter Waller

Guest dave k

Amazing how the british are so good at critising sucsess frown.gif

I'm sure we have all done somthing that with hinesite we have regreted.

I personally think john is a good ambasador for the sport.

I know many non anglers who enjoy his program, mainly because of the enfusiasm and enjoyment he shows when he fishes. smile.gif

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

Guest Graham E

This is NOT aimed at Carp anglers specifically.

With any baited hook it is possible to deep hook fish. This week end I hooked a carp deep in the gullet after just a nod on the tip and an immediate strike.

Yet I would think that a fish taking a hair rigged bait (be it for barbel etc.) would have more change of being deeply hooked if the bait/hook was taken down before the alarm sounded and a strike was made?

Maybe this is a case for a bolt rig being safer.

As for John Wilson, apart from some dubious camera captures(Royalty!!)overall he is an inspiration to many and has helped the angling cause no end. He who casts the first stone..........

Guest trent.barbeler

Paul,

Forgive me but have you possibly taken some of what Peter said or what John Wilson did out of context?

Yourself taking your eye off your floats for a moment whilst you talk to a chum is a world apart from what this is about.

I am certain that you would not fish in a manner that may be dangerous to fish welfare.

I thought that this thread was about John Wilsons television programe together with some fishing practices he employed within it.

Or am I wrong?

Guest Peter Waller

Brickbats don't worry me at all but the intolerance of constructive critiscism of JW does. It implies a faith that what ever he does is right. I don't, can't agree. Even the best of us can, as been said, do something, that in hindsight, if someone cares to tell us, we might well reget. There is a vast difference between casting a float rigged deadbait out behind you, whilst lure fishing to the front, from the situation where you take your eyes off a float for a few seconds. I have also been piking long enough to know that a float is not just a support system for a deadbait but also a very effective bite indicator, if watched. Most of my fishing is from a boat so I do know that, as a boat does not keep still and water is rarely quiet, that the line pulling from under an elastic band is unlikely to be heard. As for John Wilson knowing more about angling than me, yes he does. But thats angling in general, at which he is brillient! When it comes to piking though, I know enough to know that I have a great deal to learn, I would guess that John Wilson can also still learn. Being famous does not mean that you are beyond reproach or that you can not improve your technique.

[This message has been edited by Peter Waller (edited 20 June 2001).]

I cannot answer fully as I did not see the programme.

Firstly I feel a lot of these programmes show a lack of fish care ie no unhooking mats etc.

I feel very strongly about pike as I know despite their looks/teeth that they are one of, if not are most delicate UK fresh water fish.

When I pike fish I would not do anything that would result in deep throating a pike. Not always possible because there are times a hungry pike will just 'gulp' it down.

I was barbel fishing Bistern on the Hants Avon & caught a 12lb 8oz pike on luncheon meat. When taking the hook out noticed a set of trebles way down it's throat. As described by trent.b my friends pulled it's stomache out & removed the hooks (I had never seen this done before but I know how to do it now) Anyway the pike swam away strongly after some time spent recovering in the margins.

I love pike fishing, I don't totally agree with some pike anglers but the one thing we agree on is fish care.

If JW's act, in a pike anglers eyes was irresponsible then, yes, something should be said.

As has been said, at the end of the day he IS an ambassadour for our sport & therefore should be setting a GOOD example.

I have known Bob James for years but I was still appalled at the lack of unhooking mats on 'Passion for Angling'

As for going to sleep in your bivvy with your rods out & buzzers switched on then I am as guilty as charged! So perhaps you might like to have a go at me for that one.

I have never deep hooked a carp etc when I have had to get out of my bed to strike the run.

I think I have covered all points now so I'm off.

lyn

Guest Dave. L

I agree with Peter, JW has used this totally inadequate elastic band 'bite indication' on a few of his programmes.

JW may be able to use this method without harm to the pike, but to promote this method of indication on a tv programme watched by thousands of viewers is very irresponsible.

Cheers

Dave

Guest Peter Waller
Originally posted by lyn:

If JW's act, in a pike anglers eyes was irresponsible then, yes, something should be said.

As has been said, at the end of the day he IS an ambassadour for our sport & therefore should be setting a GOOD example.

lyn [/b]

Thanks Lyn. What you have said is right and sums the whole situation up perfectly.

Guest Keith Truscott

Hi All,

I did not see this particular programme but get the impression that some people are definately missing the point here.

Having seen many of John Wilsons programmes and videos in the past and the present it has always concerned me in relation to his general fish handling and unhooking. How many times have we seen him cuddling fish close to his body or juggling and dropping them, either on to the bank or in to the water.

I respect what he has achieved, albeit some of us know from watching his programmes that they are not always quite accurate regarding the venues he fishes but that is television, 8 hours of blanking does not make enthralling entertainment.

I will agree that he is ambassador for the sport and probably due to his giggling ways the best well known to non anglers that watch out of interest. Should he not therefore have an obligation to teach newcomers, especially youngsters coming in to the sport good practices and fish welfare. I personally can not recall many instances of this on his programme but can recall many examples that as an angler has made me recoil in horror that a so called professional could allow to be televised.

Keith

Guest Keith

My turn...

the simple truth is that - regardless of the apparent awe some people seem to hold JW in (and I like him a lot as a person, having met him a few times when he ran his tackle shop in Norwich), the simple fact is, what's wrong is WRONG.

If JW is setting a bad example it is entirely right that Peter - or whoever - should raise this issue. Bad angling practice is a bad example, and fishing in such a way that you are not fully in control IS bad angling.

In fact (and this is a point all of the JW worshippers and other "cult-of-personality" subscribers would do well to consider), JW has a bigger responsibility to be seen to do the right thing, simply because of his high profile.

There is no excuse for anything less, especially given the level of artistic and editorial control he has over the show.

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth,

Northumberland

mailto:keith@go-fishing.co.ukkeith@go-fishing.co.uk

http://www.wacac.co.uk

Guest activeviii

hay guys!

what you are all saying is right in one or anothers eyes, but, wouldn't it make sence to address the right people on this subject,i.e: JW himself. it would make a good program or two to show not just new fisher-persons to the sport but old ones alike how and why we hold the fish in the water until it regains its strenght or the resone we dont place to many mixed fish in a keepnet(if you use one) or the reason behind unhooking mats for all fish that are to big to hold safly without stretching there spine and interal organs.

we have all done it and some will continue to do wrong, so we need to learn by our mistake and that of others.

so come people let hold together and help the ones that need the help.

sorry about the spelling and the way things are written but im lead on my back arter a back opp for 6 weeks and it's not easy to see the screen let a long the keyboard.

...phil...

keep it tight.