Tench Help

Guest Elton

Guest Elton

Received this by email today - anyone able to help?:

"As a lover of tench fishing, i have for the past ten years been fishing a local water. However, i have never had the 'big score'. i have tried numerouse techniques and baits but have only produced small quantity of fish. Could you send me  any info that may help. The battle would be won if i could put the correct ground bait into the swim. Although it must be able to cover a bed of leaves, as this water is surrounded by trees.

thankyou"

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Rob Ward

I dont think the leaves will matter to the Tench to be honest, they just decay and form silt.

Tench have notoriously poor eyesight anyway and feed mostly by smell.

I'd go for a smelly static bait like flavoured corn or boilies in a silty water. Hemp wont do any harm either. Maggots and the like soon dissapear into the silt.

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, I'd go for a hair-rigged 10mm Active-8 boilie (Dipped in the Active-8 Activator) on a size 10 hook.

Using the 'Lift-rig' I'd fish over the top of Active-8 response pellets and hemp.

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest activeviii

we use to get this problem a few yrs back and what seemed to work was the old method with the rope and rake head.

tench seen to love the bottom sturd up and respond well to it..

give it a try.

------------------

...phil...

keep it tight.

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by activeviii:

we use to get this problem a few yrs back and what seemed to work was the old method with the rope and rake head.

tench seen to love the bottom sturd up and respond well to it..

give it a try.

Good advice at most venues, Phil. Stirring up the bottom can really get the tench feeding. However, I find that raking can have an adverse affect on some waters. This is especially so if the leaves have rotted to a black, stinking ooze.

Raking doesn't work on most gravel pits I've fished either, as Jim Gibbinson mentions in his tench book. Additionally, if your water contains Canadian Pondweed you'll find it almost impossible to clear as neighbouring plants just bend over the clear spot. Additionally, each bit you cut off grows into a new plant! frown.gif

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest scoobs11

try using dead maggots then they cant bury themselves

------------------

if you can't be good

be careful